Yellow star polyp help

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by DC5, Dec 3, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DC5

DC5 Astrea Snail

Supposely, this should be a easy coral for beginners, but for some reason, after I had it for 6 months, they are slowly reducing their number of polyps? Any ideas?

My water conditions are:
    pH:8.2
    s.g.: 1.021
    Temp: 79
    Ammonia, Nitrite: undectable
    Nitrate: ~5 ppm
    Phosphate: 0.25 mg/L

I have been adding the Kent Coral Accel after I noticed the reduce number of polyps, but it is still doing that. I had about 50+ polyps and now I'm down to may be 15???

By the way I also have a Green Brain, and it's doing great, it opens up everyday when the lights are on and catches stuff with it's tentacles at night. I have also closely monitor my Coral Beauty for hours and it has been it's best behavior and never pick on any of my corals...

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I would suspect that your coral beauty may be nibbling on them. Either that or you're blasting them too much with water?

4. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

your salinity is pretty low

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

yes salinity and ph r low...ph should be 8.3...wat r ur supp levels? ie. iodine, ca, etc...

6. obie1

obie1 Plankton

may yellows have slowly declined aswell. but my causes are notice obvious at this point