Yellow Polyps help!

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Mr._Bond, Dec 13, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

I bought a frag that had 6 or 7 on it.. They died 1 by 1 ..
    I just left the frag in my tank, and they grew more.. I'm back up to 6 or 7 and they looking/doing real good.. Seems they get used to spot feeding..
    There should be enough stuff flowing thru your tank to feed them..
    IF they all die, keep the frag in your tank and see if they come back.. and it may take some time.. I don't dare move mine now, they seem touchy..

Good Luck, Larry

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

The Genus is Parazoanthus
    The Species is axinellae

While they are from the same family as zoanthids, they get a lot less of their daily Carbon budget from DOM and photosynthesis. That's why their tentacles are longer than most other species of zoanthids......to capture zooplankton.

They don't eat phytoplankton......in fact, few corals do.

4. shoebox1951

shoebox1951 Astrea Snail

Do a couple of back to back water changes maybe 2 or 3 days apart 10-15% and see what happens

5. MotoReef

MotoReef Plankton

Temperature has something to do with it? Maybe?

I have had a successful multiplying colony of Yellow Polyps "Parazoanthus gracilis" and they have gone from 4 polyps to over 40 over the course of about a year.

However, this summer, when the tank temperature was gradually raised to 82F from 78F, just to prevent daily fluctuation, they started to fade away one by one. I don't think the water parameter aside from temperature was changed much and I am almost blaming the water temperature, either being sensitive to it or intolerant of ranges near 82F.

All of my other corals, including more sensitive LPS, are fine as they are most of the time and up to now over the past 2 years since this tank was populated.

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

So in essence, what your saying is that they prefer a low ph system?

Luna

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Not really. They prefer a high particulate matter system. If one's system doesn't have a lot of particulate matter, it's a good idea to target feed them.

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Ok, let me ask you something. Would you say that they do better when there is some No3 in the water?

Luna

10. MRK82

MRK82 Astrea Snail

How do you know when these polyps are dying? I have some button polyps which have been closed for 24 hours now. I went on holiday 8 days ago and all was fine since getting home last night they've not opened. All my parameters are perfect although I have not done a water change for 9 days now. I went to get some water today but my LFS had run out and was mixing some more.......I will do one tomorrow. parameters are:
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 0
    Salinity - 1.0253
    calcium 450 (little higher than I would like)
    KH - 9dKH
    Ph - 8.3
    Phosphate - 0
    Magnesium - ?? (I don't have a text kit at the mo)
    Temp - 78c

I have spot feed today with a mixture of Brine and Krill...Still nothing??

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Your Calcium is fine at that level. The remainder of your other parameters are fine too. I suspect that in a couple of days they will open back up when you get back to your normal routine. Keep us up to date.

12. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

I bought a frag of yellow polyps when I started my tank, It had if I remember about 6-7 on it. The slowly started to shrivel up till there was just a couple little bits of yellow left. I planned to just leave the plug and take it out during tank maintenance rather than be reaching in the tank all the time. Tank day came around and one was kinda some extension on so I left it. Fast forward a couple months and I have half a rock, I'd say about a 4" x 4" area covered & growing still. I dont target feed them, but I do area feed about 2 x a week with some cyclopeeze. There was ont single polyp I noticed that came loose and was down on the substrate one day about 2 weeks ago. I policed it up and stuck it down in a crack on a rock (about mid level) in my 29g mantis tank. That tank runs 2 x 6700 daylight bulbs. Last night I counted 4 polyps. Based on both experiences I have to say I definitely beleive they like less than pristine conditions and lesser light conditions.