yellow goooooo!

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by SAABtech, Oct 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SAABtech

SAABtech Flamingo Tongue

well i have had this tank for a little over 4 weeks and i think this is growing. (im refering the the yellow stuff on this old coral)
    i dont even know if this was a coral that died or what. (forgive me im still learning)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

Looks like a Yellow Encrusting Sponge to me. Beneficial though it can overwhelm some corals.

4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

+1 on encrusting sponge

5. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

looks like a sponge to me also...

Best of luck..!

6. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

North Yorkshire, England, Europe, Earth, Milkyway,
    Looks like a yellow boring sponge more than likely Cliona celata

7. SAABtech

SAABtech Flamingo Tongue

thanks folks. i found a little on another piece of live rock. i think i like it because it is adding another color to the tank.

8. Click Here!

9. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

I really like finding these. They will overwhelm some coral polyps on live rock (if you're lucky enough to get them, but they should NOT overwhelm fragged/purchased corals. They're also sponges which means they're natural filtration systems for your tank. All in all they're a net benefit, and the color (I've seen this sort of sponge in yellow, red, orange, and blue) is extremely vibrant.

BTW I'm sure this is NOT a boring sponge. I'm reasonably certain it's a yellow encrusting sponge, but I'm now wondering if Mycale laevis isn't a better match as I am surprised to not see the yellow atop the branches of this harder coral. If it is the Orange King Sponge it's actually beneficial to the coral, and yet not orange.

10. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

Yes yellow sponge.. ohh and yes that is an acropora skeleton looks like to me