Yellow Fiji Leather not so yellow?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by iLLwiLL, Aug 31, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I have a rather large Mushroom Leather like that but only brown and have limbs from a kenya tree brushing across it in the flow and have never had any kind of chemical warfare....I have recently got a small Yellow Toadstool but nothing is near him....good luck....
    Danny

2. Click Here!

3. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

Just got it home about an hour ago and it it much more yellow/green than the pic makes it look. After it opens up I'll get a couple pics of it.

~Will.

4. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

Even your water has alot to do with the color of your corals...
    Corals can be one color in one tank, and different in another tank..
    Even with the same lights due to trace elements, etc in the water being different ..

Larry

5. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

After some time acclimating its a lot more yellow now. I have read these do best under pretty high lighting and moderate flow, could the halides it was under have caused it to get so pink?? I know some corals will look different in different tanks and under different lighting . . . but this is a "yellow fiji leather". I would expect it to get a different shade (lighter or darker) of yellow.

Regardless, it looks great and I am very happy with this piece. I already have everyone that has seen it in person hounding me for a frag.

[​IMG]

~Will.

6. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Looks good and healthy to me. I have a pair of them in my tank. Give it lots of room. They get large.

7. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

I have never seen another leather that could shape its shape and size as much as this one. It can go from totally open and happy and be a little smaller than a diner plate, and when its pissed it goes down to looking more like the size of a small apple.

I was thinking about getting a clown or 2 when I got this piece so they would have the option to host this or my torch . . . but after seeing how temperamental this fiji leather is I am having doubts. Also this thing seems to be a great water quality indicator as it wouldn't extend its polyps for 6-7 days until I did a water change. Within hours it was huge with improved color and every polyp was extended.

~Will.

8. Click Here!

9. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

yeah, thats why I said it was just a fiji leather. Just an obersavtion that a lot of things can affect the color of a particular piece. It wasn't pink/purple when I got it.

I agree that they are a great indicator of water quality and it is always fuller and happier after a water change.