yellow belly hippo tang has popeye

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by rlman41299, Oct 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rlman41299

rlman41299 Skunk Shrimp

so as the title says. my hippo may have bacterial infection due to popeye. i ruled out eye injury for both are poped out and kinda cloudy. so i have a few questions and any help is appreciated.

1. will the bacterial infection affect the other inhabitants?
    2. what medication to use?

water parameters are all in check and just did a water change last weekend when i noticed the infection. went to my closest lfs and they have maracin which i read a lot on the web being used for popeye infection. but upon reading the box it says for freshwater use only. does any of you out there used maracin for saltwater? if so, is it effective?
    so i grabbed the furan-2 by api which is the only one they have for cloudy eye.
    my next task will be to quarantine the fish but first i am on my 4th hour trying to bait and capture him ( it's been a long day) and still hiding between rocks.
    by the way my hospital tank will be a 12g and i know it my tang will not like the swimming space but it's my only option. i have not added anything new to the tank for weeks, so outside contamination is out of the question.
    any help is appreciated. TIA

2. Click Here!

3. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

i have use the furan 2 for sick zoas and it works great i wish i could help you, i haven't had any popeye, i used it outside of my main tank, sorry i wish i could help

4. Alohastate335i

Alohastate335i Fire Worm

My Milletseed Butterflyfish has popeye and finrot while the rest of the fish in my main tank seemed uneffected; so I think it doesn't affect other tank inhabitants (correct me if I'm wrong). Anyways, I put him in a quarantine tank this past Sunday and been dosing with API Melafix on a daily basis. So far, his popeye has gone down and fins seem to be improving, but I'll continue to leave him in the QT for another 3 days untill returning him to the main tank. Good luck with your Tang and I hope this helps!