Yeah Yeah the ich is here

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by shadyzee, Sep 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. shadyzee

shadyzee Astrea Snail

Hello Everyone :-

My tank is 125G , 3 month old , only 2 Tangs there , 1 Yellow since more than a month and a purple tang been there for 2 weeks , i went with all needed procedures to be sure introducing will be good , and they are just perfect together , no fighting or anything , they are very good size , eating well , yesterday i have noticed some of very tiny small white spots on my purple , that when i start reading like crazy about the ich , i know the question is repeated but i just wanted to be sure.

considering the following what is the best to do :-

1- Have corals (softies) in the tank
    2- there is no way i can catch the purple as she is fast and there is lots of places to hide.
    3- don't have Hospital tank and its hard to get one but it's not impossible.
    4- water quality is good except S is 1.024 if you consider this bad. temp is 25C

My purple move eat and he is really good faty one "AT LEAST FOR NOW", i know i can't add any new fish for the next 60 days maybe or even more which is bad , i was waiting this coming shipment to start my pradetors :( , but is it safe to add corals ?? or even corals will have effect by any how ??

any idea about what i can do to avoid the death of fish ? i know feeding vary foods and garlic thing and maybe some changing to water !! what about the 1.024 '? need to be reduced to 1.021 ? tempreture wise ?

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Caspian

Caspian Coral Banded Shrimp

Corals and inverts Don't get ill by Ich.

Tangs are often more susceptible to ich, Adding a little garlic or selcon to their diet will help keep their immune systems boosted and will aid in the recovery.

If you don't mind nuking everything floating in the water column you can try a UV sterilizer. I have a friend who runs one about a week before and nearly a month after he purchases a fish. Just to make sure there aren't any serious ich problems...

Don't mess with the temp or salinity as it can cause stress upon your fish and then they will definitely have a bad time. You want them to pass the ich as stress free as possible the more you stress them out the less likely they are to continue to eat. Which is why most fish don't make it through Ich.

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

U.V. sterilizers do very little if anything to help iradicate Ich.It is only in the free swimming stage at one point in its life.With fish in the tank the only way to beat it is to boost the fishes immune system.Adding predators may be a huge mistake as Ich is usually brought on by stress or poor diet.Adding predators to a small tank with two tangs may be asking for trouble IMO.:cry:

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Changing the temp or increasing will only add to the stress of the fish and there by make them more susceptible to a worse out break, increasing the temp is not a treatment for SW ich, only FW, two completely different organisms.

To treat with hyposalinity you have to drop the SG to 1.009, which will wipe out the biological filter you have thus far established in the new tank. Any SG above 1.009 will do nothing.

Coral and inverts can introduce the parasite but they are not infected by it.

If these tangs die I would wait until the tank is more established before re-introducing tangs again.

6. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

uv sterilizers do help with ich. killing it in any stage is a help and cuts some of it out. uv's also clarify the water having very clean water will also help the fish fight the ich. i run one 24/7

7. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

This is more a question for future use by the OP or others, but is it recommended to QT all tangs and assume they have ich and treat accordingly? Or just QT and monitor?

8. Click Here!

9. shadyzee

shadyzee Astrea Snail

Thanks for everyone posted with this great informations , i will be back into it soon but i will leave you with this update

50% of the white spots is gone !!!! still there is some but for some reason i just wanted to be sure with tomorrow it's almost gone !!!!!

i will keep you updated soon. i can't beleive this works !!!

10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

fresh water dips help if thats what you did

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

As a general rule, QT every fish before adding to your DT, some do treat the QT prophylactivly.

12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

+1

I run one 24/7 also.

And for those that say it kills all the good floura also?
    My tank stays really nice, corralline grows like crazy, and
    My all my coral thrive- and I don't 'FEED' my coral anything.

If your tank has been rid of Ich for at least 3-4 weeks, only introducing it by not QT your new fish will give you Ich.
    If its not there, stress won't give you Ich. IMEHO