Yay or Nay: Fiji Mud - Refugium Booster

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by FaceOfDeceit, Sep 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

lol! Yes, you're important and very special;)

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Ah, I was thinking mud as opposed to booster. But the thread that's been linked was one that I had looked at too, when I was rolling the idea around. I still say no.

Sidenote: why did Leng Sy start using 2L of carbon if the mud was working so well? So much doesn't add up there.

4. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

IMO, Leng used the carbon to compensate for not having a skimmer. The way that system was set up, there is absolutely no method of nutrient export aside from the water changes. IMO, with the bioload that he has, it is impossible to keep pristine water conditions without additional nutrient export. After the problems with the carbon, he concluded that carbon is bad for reef tanks. :confused:

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

That whole incident was weird to me... Especially his conclusion.

6. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Like I said, much doesn't add up. He knows too much to be so irrational.

7. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Well I have a skimmer and don't run Carbon. I dose vodka, but would like to ween my critters off of the stuff. ;D Going for a more natural approach, with vodka/vinegar dosing in smaller numbers. I will have 14 fish, and strictly SPS/NPS.

8. Click Here!

9. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

I had no reservations laughing off his conclusions to him on my last visit to his facility. He even went as far to flat out say that the use of carbon will kill your corals. I then asked our club members to give me a show of hands as to who uses carbon on a regular basis. The hands went up unanimously, except for me. Leng just shook his head.

10. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I thought the mud/dsb was for export. I remember reading that why he wasn't using skimmers. I agree though, you have to do something else, unless to are running 1000lbs of mud lol.

11. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

eh, the kitty litter works for me ;D

if you do the natural thing then go for it just as long as you do a full report on how it worked for you lol

12. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Correct but it was obvious that it wasn't working because the tank was always cloudy as heck. Don't get me wrong, the tank is amazing due to the livestock but it could use some help. The first time I saw it I thought the cloudiness was just one of those days. The other times I found it was the norm.