Resolved Yasha in hole in rock

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by reefmonkey, Sep 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

My Yasha goby has swam head first into a pore size hole in the rocks. Just his tail and end of the banner is sticking out. He's been this way all day. Every once in a while I see his tail thrash. It's not a hole that goes through the rock.
    Should I leave him or try to gently pull him out?

I normally would just let nature run it's course and wait it out BUT

I bought this fish locally and overpaid ($50)for it only because I have wanted one for so long and couldn't believe my eyes when my LFS had two last night.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

HAHAHA thats not good... any pictures? do you think that he will be able to get out himself or do you really think he is stuck? If you do pull him out make sure not do smash his fin :-/

4. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

I am not seeing any option a good one.. if you leave him in there he can die, if you try to pull him, there is a chance that you can rip a fin or cut him if there are jagged edges on the rocks. If it were me, I would be in a pickle. A part of me size let nature take it's course whereas the other part is telling me to gently wiggle the poor fellow out.

5. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

I would give it a couple hours, then try wiggling him out. Maybe take your turkey baster and squirt some water around in there so he can get loose

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

He's only an 1" long if that.

I'm going to have to leave him because I just read that they use their pectoral fins to dig and he'll just lock them if I try to pull. Hopefully he will back out on his own. :(

7. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

id try the turkey baster idea that tom suggested, squirt some water in there and he might just pop out

8. Click Here!

9. Slassco

Slassco Flamingo Tongue

If possible try of chipping the rock. Like saving someone in a hole. Try to enlarge the hole any way possible. Get a coral clipper used to frag if u have access. Good luck

10. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

Add another for turkey blasting him out.if you can lift the rock mabe try turning it upsidedown near a powerhead

11. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I would take the rock out of the tank and hold it out of the water over the tank. You can find out if he is stuck that way. I do this sometimes when a fish swims into a rock that I am trying to bag up at the store. They will work their way out and fall back into the tank usually. Before I proceeded with anything drastic i would definately make sure he is stuck. I think these fish are like triggers and stick up that fin to attach to a rock.

good luck

1 person likes this.
  12. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

At 9:00 pm CST there was no change, just the tail and banner. I watched for 10 minutes and saw him flag his tail so I touch the tip of it.

Now all I can see is the banner so there has to be more room in the hole than I first thought.

If he's not out on his own by tomorrow night I'm going to try Shackmels idea.