Yack!!! What is this growing on Cheato????

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Otty, Dec 25, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I just started my sump/refugium and bought some cheato at LFS and I have stuff growing out of it. Is this aptasia??? If so how do I get rid of it, just throw the hole bundle of cheato away? This fug is only cycling and is not piped into the display tank yet and if this is aptasia then I DON'T want it in with my coral. Can anyone help.
    stuff on algea.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

It's aptaisa allright :( SIGH!

I'd cut a hunk of cheato off and throw the infested crap away :(. Are you sure they are the only ones in your tank?

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I picked the cheato up saturday and threw it in the fuge to cycle. I just ripped the infested algae in half and tossed it in the trash. I think I got it all. Should I just trow it all away and get some from somewhere eles that is not infested???:-/

5. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    +2 that... even though you can have alot of stuff in your refuge that wouldn't generally affect corals and fish, you dont want that in your water column... keep the stuff you got and monitor the refuge and cheato you have. dont waste all that for nothing. you got rid of what was there, and thats the best you could do for now. and if you go out and buy the stuff again then you have a good chance of getting the same thing, your lfs apears to have the aptiasia problem...

hope everything works out ok. i think it will, youll be fine.

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I will try and order some cheato from some online dealer. Anyone know where to buy some good algae? I think I got all of the aptasia out, I checked it out this morning and I didn't see any but the light on the fuge was not on yet. I only have it coming on for 12 hours a day now. I am really unsure how long I should keep it on.

7. bouraganes

bouraganes Peppermint Shrimp

Yep, thats what it looks like, big one too- the stuff seems to sprout up everywhere!

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Aiptasia in the refugium is nothing to freak about as they tend to stay in the refugium. In fact, I plan on setting up an aiptasia refugium on my 180 once it's ready for it. I do plan on keeping peppermint shrimp in the display tank if, for any reason, the aiptasia migrate into it from the fuge.

10. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

It's funny, those guys will stick to anything, anywhere. mannyhernz has them on his phos reactor media. lol ;D

11. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

So you would want them in your refugium?? What benifit do you get from the water passing over them?? And should i leave them if they come back? I was led to believe that you don't want them in your tank.:-/

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Like fan worms, aiptasia are filter feeders that thrive in "filthy" water conditions so they're perfect for a refugium. They eat everything (leftover food particles, etc.) that will eventually turn into nitrates, phosphates, etc. if not removed from the system. When used in a fuge along with caulerpa type algaes, they become a filtration system that pretty much can't be beat. Now, all that being said, you do not want them in your main tank but if the refugium is set up properly, they will not migrate out of the refugium. Just for giggles though, I will be throwing a few peppermint shrimp into the main tank so if any do make it into my tank by hitchiking in via a coral, piece of rock or, however unlikely, through the refugium, the shrimp will take care of it.