Y no gold goldfish!!! the story, learn something today

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by sostoudt, May 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

here something i learned recently, the reason you hardly ever see any gold goldfish.
    this significantly reduced the number of yellow strains. even today the number of yellows is significantly lower then others, even though yellow was a more easily attainable color of the original fish. whether the taboo still exists today amoung chinese breeders i do not know. i have seen pure gold colored ones for sale before to the turn of 30 dollars(to be fair these were a new strain with pure yellow similar to koi not a simple canary yellow, canarys have a hint of oranges to them).

i thought this was very interesting, because for a while i wondered why a animal called goldfish is almost always orange or calico.
    im not sure many three reefers care since many probably consider them boring fish. it takes a special person to enjoy the goldies, someone who can appreciate the beauty of a animal created for us to take care of and be a companion fish, with out the hype of koi. if koi are living jewels, goldfish are atleast the precious metals of the fish world.

anyway thats why there less gold goldfish then oranges.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

It's interesting how customs, even ancient ones affect the hobby even today. Phallic named worms (that look anything but), non gold golfish. Interesting find. +K!