Xp-2000

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by ReefSparky, Dec 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

Definitely is some dark skimmate. Mines pretty damn dark too. And the smell..... words cant even describe how nasty it is.

2. Click Here!

3. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Here are a couple of pics. This is less than 24 hours after cleaning the cup, and already the tube inside the collection cup is muddied up, so it's hard to see the bubble level. But a promise is a promise. I'll snap some next time I clean the cup out, which should be tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. tatted4ever

without a doubt where you have yours at is doing well.... Im not getting that much skimmate now. but then again Ive had mine on my system for some time.

I have my water level set at midlevel of the bottom portion of the collection cup where it connects to the body of the skimmer. My lingo is off again but its about 2 inches above where the collection cup connects to the body. In these terms where is yours at Sparky?

5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I have an odd question for you. how tall is the pump. I don't want to get a new skimmer, but am looking at these guys as a just in case this. Space is a huge limitation for me, but if the pump could fit under the rubble in my converted wet/dry I could make this bad boy fit. Just need height of the pump.

Awesome skimmer.

6. ReefSparky

Mine is much higher. The collection column extends inside the cup to almost an inch below the cover. As you can see in the pics, the bubble column completely fills the neck, and the bubbles are visible within the column inside the collection cup. It maintains froth to almost 3 inches below the very top of the column. Like I said, when I clean the cup out again, I'll snap a pic.

Without sticking a tape measure in the water, as best I can estimate from holding it outside the sump, 4 1/2". There are rubber feet on the motor that are approx. 1/4" which could be removed if necessary.

1 person likes this.
  7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I will call it 5" to be on the safe side. Darn, I only have 3" clearance in that section. O well, looks like the nac6 will be my back-up plan. I would love to get this bad boy but the SSS version isn't worth 490 to IMO. Thank you for the info.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

About here, Patrick. Sometimes a skootch higher. That would be wet skimming in a different skimmer, but the color of my skimmate doesn't look too wet.

[​IMG]

10. tatted4ever

WOW.... im gonna set it that high and see what mine can do.

11. ReefSparky

I'm sure you already know this, but I'd crank the valve only about 1/2 turn per day until you're where you want to be. The skimmer is so sensitive, if you turn it up until you see the column rise; it'll be overflowing in 30 minutes. Go slow, let the flow grow. :) (ca. 2000, M. Rogers)

1 person likes this.
  12. tatted4ever

nice quote alteration :)

1 person likes this.