xenia

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Iraf, Feb 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Omard, my tank's are between 79 and 81 degrees and I am having a hard time keeping mine in check. Its growing and spreading great, which actually doesn't bother me because I like it.

I have found that it grows and spreads faster if it has lots of light and good water conditions and lots of flow. I have it in all 3 of my Nanos and the only one it is slow growing in is the 16 which is 18" deep and has PC's on it. In my 10 and 20 it has pretty much spread everywhere.

As far as keeping it in check, I have found recently that even keeping it on a rock in the middle of the sand really doesn't work, like a Kenya tree, mine just dropped some arms or heads and where they landed they grew. didn't know this till the other day when they got big enough to reach above the rocks at one end of my tank.

2. Click Here!

3. 72RunningBlue

72RunningBlue Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Whats your water levels like Reef Ghost and Gazog in order to make your zenia spread like that? ph, calcium phosphates?

4. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

PH 8-0 to 8.2
    Nitrates, ammonia, nitrites, phosphates - 0 or pretty much unreadable
    Calcium and Alk, 20g - 420 - 11 DKH, 16g - 380 - 9 or 10 DKH, 10g - don't have a clue because I haven't tested that tank for anything in months.

I also do water changes every week, 10% each tank. If I miss a week, which has happened once or twice, I can tell especially with the Xenia.

I started in September with 2 small pieces in my 10 gallon, one silver tipped and one brown

Silver tipped
    [​IMG]
    Brown
    [​IMG]
    Full Tank Shot
    [​IMG]

And This is what it looks like now, and I have trimmed them and given allot away and stocked my other tanks out of this tank.

[​IMG]

5. mikemangue

mikemangue Astrea Snail

What Is The Best Food For Xeinas?

Here is a picture of my Xeinas. One set is a purple xeina and the other is a waving hand xeina. I've had the purple xeinas for about 2 months and they don't seem to do much in terms of spreading. Maybe i'm being too impatient but in comparison to my waving hand xeina that I received from TinFury, It was about 1 to 2 inches in size and has grown quite large over the past 3-months. I don't just throw any corals together and hope they all live in harmony, What I normally do to this 20-gallon nano tank is place the xeinas so that they grow from a mid-point height in the tank since they seem to prefer stronger lighting and then I use different types of mushrooms at the bottom of the tank since the xeinas tend to want to block out the majority of the light and mushrooms prefer low light conditions. Anyway, what i'd really love to know is what type of food would help to improve the growth of the xeinas. Some folks say that you could use "coral frenzy". It would be great to know what type of food would help to improve the size of the xeinas?

[​IMG]

6. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I just dose Phytoplankton about twice a week for all my corals and so far I'm getting great growth on all of them, really xenia just like alot of flow and the more light they get the faster they grow also