Xenia

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by cerpin_taxt, Mar 28, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Solsjealous

Solsjealous Astrea Snail

weeds

I have pumping xenia and long bar xenia and the long bar took off! It has branched and moved all over my tank. The pumping did too for a while but seems to have slowed in it's growth

2. Click Here!

3. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

It's weird. In my 300 my plusar xenia grows like weed. I'm constantly pruning it and can't give it away fast enough. When I put cuttings in my 210 it languishes. I think it's the lighting.

4. mistermikev

mistermikev Astrea Snail

by now you see there are many schools of thought on xenia and pulsing and doing good. I have found that just the right amount of water movement(not too much - not too little), some 10000k light (5w per gallon)(maybe switch one actinic to 10000k just to see), and good water params will do it. Did it pulse in the store? If so, what kind of light did they use?

5. milesm4

milesm4 Spaghetti Worm

My experience with xenia is that they are a great way to tell if your water quality is off, if that isn't your problem then I would lean more towards the lighting issue. Mine pulse as soon as the PC lights come on, once they get acclimated they spread like wildfire. I have xenia that started out as three "stalks" now it's around thirty!

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

7. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

its also said that sending Scoffer some Xenia frags makes him pulse!!!
    :)

(hint hint)

Scoffer

8. Click Here!

9. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Hey guys, I can actually help you all about a bit with Xenia pulsing. During my research with this coral I found that pulsing is directly related to the pH of the water. With high pH pulsing will increase and with a decrease, pulsing will...decrease. Other factors do play a role, but pH is important.

I'm not sure if i agree with mistermikev about the 10000k idea. The only reason is because i do not have any 10000k bulbs over my tank and they seem to pulse very well. But then again...I have 11000k, maybe thats close enough. I would have to research that further before anything is concrete.

I have also noticed that during the night if moonlight is present the coral seems to pulse. I was able to test this because I have a automatic dimmer setup to stimulate the moon cycle. I observed the pulsing increase during times of change from full moons to new moons.

Xenia is definatly a interesting and wonderful coral. It can become a bit of a annoyance though. :)

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I have a feeling I will agree with you Bruce that this coral can be annoying. Mine is only 3 weeks old and has done grown off the rock I bought it on and is ready to split in about 2 more days. If you look at the video that I posted you can see the bottom of the stalk is ready to split in two. That stuff really grows fast. I want to move it around it the tank to cover some area like Ivy would in landscaping. If nothing else then I can just pinch some off and give it away.

11. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

yeah, xenia annoy me cause the LFS here wants like $29.99 for a litle piece of xenia...and they're probably not pulsing either!!!

:)

Sco

12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Give me a little time Scoffer because I am new at saltwater fragging thing so after the next split the Xenia makes I will try and put some rubble around it for it to attach to and ship you a piece of it. Sound good?