Xenia

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by PghSteeler, Apr 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

You will not need to add Aquavitro or anything else to the tank for the Xenia. Beware of products such as these where the exact ingredients are not known. Just keep up with your water changes and it should do very well.;)

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Looks like they have opened up but are not pulsing. The one stalk that fell off the rock and landed on the sand got caught up in some current and swirled around in a very tight little ball. Im hoping it lands in a spot and just starts growing there.

The lfs had the xenia in 2 tanks and the tank I got them from was not there reef/frag tank where they were pulsing it was a liverock tank where they dont dose or check calcium mag or any other nutrients so it was not pulsing. I guess it should eventually pulse in my tank if conditions are right I guess give it a few weeks before I do anything?

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Dang it I hate to agree with Vinny but yeah, you do not need to feed Xenia.

Of note is they way it will pulse at different pH values. Check it out some time, the lower the value the slower the pulse. It also always fascinated me that Xenia is distant relatively of Jelly Fish, hence the pulsing action.

5. PghSteeler

Hmm interesting I always thought iodine levels were what made xenia pulse or not not pH. I guess I will be able to use the xenia as an indicator of my pH levels then lol. How long does it take to acclimate and start pulsing if conditions are right?

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes I used to hear the iodine theory as well and it may be true to some extent, but I do know when my pH is running on the low side just by checking out my Xenia. I do not like to add iodine to small tanks so I stay away from that.
    Should start pulsing in the first few days if not hours.

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

There is more then one type of Xenia. Some pulse some do not.;)

8. Click Here!

9. CharlotteReefer

CharlotteReefer Coral Banded Shrimp

One lfs advised me to use the kent tech-i. I used it 2 times but after doing more research I never used it again.

10. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

My only recommendation would be to make sure it lands in a spot that you want it to be in as Xenia can quickly take over a tank if left to grow unchecked. Here is a great example I found on youtube.

OVERGROWN GIANT XENIA FARM AQUARIUM CORAL REEF - YouTube

11. PghSteeler

so if it grows somewhere you do not want it, a kalk paste or something would kill it right? I plan on getting frogspawn or torch which would sting and kill the xenia if it tries to invade its territory right?

12. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

It theory that is correct. The best way to control it is to leave it on it's own rock "island" seperated from other parts of the tank or physical removal. The kalp paste may affect other parts of your tank and the frogspawn or torch may not kill it completly.