Xenia

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by PghSteeler, Mar 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Ditto,mine seems happier and pulses more in milder flow.

2. Click Here!

3. kv2wr1

kv2wr1 Astrea Snail

If you can, try to isolate the xenia on a single rock otherwise in time they can take over.

4. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

Its funny you mention this. In our Zero Edge tank, we use it as our main nutrient export and probably prune out around 20 stalks every month or two.

In my 29 Gallon tank it actually outcompetes my chaeto.

5. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

Definitely try to get a pumping Xenia. They are pretty tolerant to water changes and quality. They should be good to go in a new system like Corailline mentioned. When I first broke into the reef part of the hobby, I started out with one stalk of Pink Pulsing Xenia and it turned into probably a good 100 within 4 months. ;D

6. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Thanks for all the help guys, I do not think I can add it yet only have the stock T8 light which I doubt would keep anything alive. GOod to now once I upgrade the light I can add it though!

7. grinder37

At the time being,it is my chaeto,lol.But yes,it is a very good exporter of nutrients.Anthelia is good too,if it just wasn't sooo damn ugly,lol.

8. Click Here!

9. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Good to now about the nutrient export, at this time I do not have a fuge or sump on the tank nor do I have any room/plans to add one on in the future. Good to know I will have a means of exporting excess nutrients. Do fish commonly eat xenia?

10. grinder37

For now,just get a 10k 50/50 bulb for your light and put it (the xenia) high in the tank until you can upgrade.I started reefing with standard light fixtures for over a year before I ever bought my first cp light,but that was just keeping lower light demanding softies.

My tank has no sump or fuge (pic in my avatar,or check out my build thread),they're highly benificial,just not nessasarily required,unless you're going for an ultra low nutrient sps dominated tank,I have nothing but softies and lps in mine.So most all of my corals feed off of nutrients in the water column along with my lighting.Angelfish and non-reef safe fish are the only ones that i would worry about taking a bite.No fish that i've ever kept were coral munchers.

11. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

+1 xenia is a good starter coral, extremely resilient! some say be aware of the boom and bloom, I personally have not had this issue yet. what some do is place it one the sand bed with small rubble rocks around it, as it spreads on the rubble they pick them up and boil the rock. but go for it!!! try to place it in a location with low current so you can truly enjoy the psychadelic pulsing.

12. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

pghsteeler where do you live? are you near bucks county? if so i will give you some pulsing xenia, its going crazy in my tank. i love the stuff but it does need to still be pruned at times.

months back i had a xenia crash it took all the xenia in the tank and a few other corals. i can't even say what caused it.( heater failure? chemical warfare? ) it just happened. it took months of trying pieces a a few dollars, till finally it took again. wish i could say what happened but i can't. but once it crashes it takes a couple months to be able to grow it again from what i have seen.