Xenia.

Discussion in 'Frags' started by civiccars2003, Feb 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I used a razor blade and cut the stalk. I couldn't peel it off. When I cut it, some discharge came out, is that an issue?
    Do you think this frag will survive?

2. Click Here!

3. K3rack

K3rack Peppermint Shrimp

Most corals will slime up which is why I always try to frag it out of the tank when I can. Your skimmer will probably foam up a little more but as for the frag, I'm sure it will be ok. Xenia seems indestructible in my opinion.

4. civiccars2003

He tells me it's perished. I asked to send me a picture. When he does, I will post it.

5. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i cant wait for my avert xenia bloom to happen. lol my xenia crashed after a heater malfunction. just put more back into the tank ...now to wait. just love the pulsing xenia.

6. civiccars2003

This is what I started with two months ago. Above pic, you can see it as of last night.

Attached Files:

7. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

when they are happy they are a weed :) and it looks like yours is happy. looking forward to see it a few months from now. some people complain about the xenia. hehe... wonder if that will be your thoughts 6 months from now.

8. Click Here!

9. K3rack

K3rack Peppermint Shrimp

I won't complain if I can peel them off the rock. My xenia move and spread out fast. I wish I knew they were so mobile :p

10. civiccars2003

I have unfortunate news. The frag I gave to my friend didn't survive. The next morning he woke up too it being brown. Shortly after he tossed it in the trash. He didn't listen to my advice and I believe his water quality is right.

As well I think if he kept it in his tank it would start to come back. I was pretty disappointed.

11. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

They don't peel off the rock cleanly and any flesh left behind will begin regrowing IME. Also I don't just grab and pull. I use my tweezers and work the base up until I can get a grip on a good length of edge.

12. civiccars2003

You are correct. The part that was left behind from the cut is beginning to grow back.

I just wish I knew why the frags didn't survive.