Xenia wilted?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by jdameli1, Nov 8, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

Anyone ever had Xenia just wilt for no apparent reason? It used to be a giant uncontrollable weed taking over the tank, then 2 days ago its all wilting and going down hill.

Water params have been good and stable for 6 months everything else is thriving. No new additions in 3 months.

Also if it does all die off should I worry about ammonia spikes? So far it's not dead I don't think

2. Click Here!

3. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

How long have you had it? Any changes to equipment on the tank?

Xenia seems to be a funny coral from everything I read and sudden downfalls where a whole colony disappears and then a few months later after you forgot about it makes a resurgence is somewhat common. Ive had my colony for 7 months and it grows like a weed helping to control nitrates (No skimmer/fuge/biopellets). THey do better in slightly dirty systems without skimmers

4. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

I've had it about a year.

I do have a small amount of nitrates always have. Guess I just have to see what happens,

5. PghSteeler

Have you changed anything on your tank? Lights, bulbs, equipment??

6. Ryan_310

Ryan_310 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

My tank just crashed and had a huge bateria bloom which sucked all the oxygen out of the water. All my Xeina is gone and witherd away. I can see it decomposing but have not noticed any change in my levels.

7. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

i don't have xenias but my kenya trees wilt every once and a while for a couple of days and then return to normal.

8. Click Here!

9. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

It seems like they are actually dying/ disintegrating

No changes in equipment in over a year.

Everything else is fine and open, params are still good

10. PghSteeler

Sorry to hear that, all you can really do is let it die back and watch and wait for a comeback. Hopefully someone else could help but it seems to be one of those corals that some people grow great and others cant keep alive

11. Ford101

Ford101 Fire Shrimp

could anything be eating at it or do you have any soft or lps corals right beside it that could be starting warfare with it? are you certain your test kits are still accurate (not out of date). maybe just in case bring a sample to the LFS for a quick test. just a few ideas. otherwise i have no idea, they sometimes do wilt but usually come back with a vengeance. if it does die, i would try and remove it. you will probably get a ton of algae.

12. packerfreak25

packerfreak25 Bristle Worm

same thing happened to me they took over my tank. And then one time the water got a few degrees hotter then normal and they died until there was like one left. But now they are back on the incline. Just wait they will get better.