Xenia ~ what makes it thrive?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by pink4miss, Apr 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

BTW - smell the coral out of the water before you buy it. if it smells like strong saltwater- your good to go, if it smells other wise pass it by.

2. Click Here!

3. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

In time, no skimmer, you will regret that decision. Been there done that route, IMHO- no matter the tank size.

It's all about O2 - consider this.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Nahh I have done it both ways, still have my very first skimmer.

Small bio-load
    Careful feedings
    Routine water changes
    High flow

There was a time when you leaned to run a system without a skimmer, I just got used to it. Having a skimmer on my tanks really did not make a huge difference, I know not to push it and how to avoid accumulation of DOC.

Skimmers are wonderful and I will have one when I upgrade.

5. thebanker

thebanker Astrea Snail

Nitrates do feed Xenia IME. I employ a refugium and biopellets, and my Xenia grows slowly.

Also, I believe that high heat can trigger a Xenia crash. I had a colony crash to 50%, and I attribute it to the water temperature being too high.

6. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i just started with the bio pellets and the tanks at the point were it seems like every other day when i test im seeing a slight drop in nitrates. i started to feed the corals with fuel also since my skimmer is pulling so much from the tank. i felt feeding the corals the extras would be a good idea at this time. i wonder if that would also help with xenia? its why im considering trying one more time.

i figured the heat triggered it but now why months later will it still not grow? i have used carbon to remove toxins it may have left when it crashed. and recently started removing my leathers from the tank spag leather , toadstool....gone i pulled them. i have a colt coral thats in the fug. that i will take to the fish store for a credit . hoping that the next xenia try will work.

7. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Try different types of xenia also..

Pom pom xenia
    Red sea
    Elongata
    blue xenia

8. Click Here!

9. Zander

Zander Spaghetti Worm

I know this is really weird, but I had a similar issue with my Xenia growing really slowly. I bought the Xenia Pom Pom online and it was hurting forever then it bounced back and now it is going back to falling apart.

I also have a Xenia that was a hitch hiker on my trumpet coral seriously a spec of xenia on it, and it is growing faster than my other. Go figure.

Interesting convo I had with an exp. Xenia coral farmer and she had told me that she has seen Xenia turn into a paste on the rock and bounce back 2 months later so don't toss it.

I think when the colony takes a beating it doesn't quite bounce back the same until it dies and comes back.

My tank specs: Skimmer/Chemipure Elite/Fuge/79 deg temp and 0 Nitrates

1 person likes this.
  10. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

I have also heard, if it crashes and comes back..IT comes back stronger and grows faster..

1 person likes this.
  11. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

I have a skimmer and run carbon and I have xenia thats been growing like a weed. All I have is a pep shrimp in the tank right now livestock wise.. Not counting other corals..

1 person likes this.
  12. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i had three types in my tank when it crashed. the one type went first than the next one followed than my favorite :( in three days t was gone. my fav was the one pictured on live aquaria. im thinking i might just try that one again and no others. i did try the one that started the crash again because it was cheap from the local fish store. where they frag it. it withered away in a few weeks time