Xenia ~ what makes it thrive?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by pink4miss, Apr 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Just ignore and try to kill it, it will grow.

I have no skimmer, no fuge, no GFO just chemipure elite.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i also have always had nitrates from 20 to 40 at times :( and had 20 when the xenia crashed.
    im now running bio pellets and i can see the nitrates dropping slowly. and are under 20 now and wonder if xenia is even an option in a tank running bio pellets. or should i give up.
    recently bought a few goniopora's since they also look like flowers and sway nicely.
    its the flower look that i seem to go for and the pulsing xenia cant be beat. but goniopora's have their pluses also. so many types.

4. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

im seeing a no skimmer pattern here, i will have to figure out the date i added my first skimmer and see if its near the crash

5. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

pink4miss try encrusting gorgs, or anthilia- much more hardy and prettier IMHO. I can send you a frag or encrusting gorg if you pay shipping. free. I have a lot of it. Or antheilia- it's the purple type.

1 person likes this.
  6. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

thank you thats very kind of you to offer but i couldnt ask to to ship corals. just looked the antheilia up thats pretty. not sure what the gorgs are though?

7. alpha_03

na really it's ok

ask inwall- he figured out this coral for me, took a little time- I have a huge colony of it, I have never seen it other then in my tank.

free- really no strings- you pay shipping i will send you a 2x3 colony of it. Anthellia, I have lots, I can send you a few small frags that hve relocated on their own- it's easy- I already have the boxes from previous orders, and the weather is pretty good.

8. Click Here!

9. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i try and get rid of the evidence of coral and fish purchases ( the boxes) lol
    i just looked live aquaria has the anthelia is this it? Saltwater Aquarium Corals for Marine Reef Aquariums: Waving Hand - Blue the local fish store had a rock of this. well they did on monday anyway.

10. alpha_03

yep, except mine is purple - but it changes color due to enviroment and lighting. it is like really big waving hand- but better imho.

11. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

this is the one i had Saltwater Aquarium Corals for Marine Reef Aquariums: Waving Hand, Thick Stem im temped to try it again, it pulses also
    i have been dosing the tank with something from seachem called fuel. its coral food. in a weeks time my ricordias seem to have swelled and look much happier. i started using this for the goniopora's since it has the magnese and iron that i have read goniopora's need

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  12. alpha_03

I have a 16 inch round rock of that in my 165 gallon, it is anthelia, but give it good flow and watch what happens- it will grow tall and wave at you like a beggar after free eats friday. Anthelia is my prefered choice when it comes to large polyps- it is nearly impossible to kill, and will grow under nearly any lighting- but give it what it wants- (good lighting and good food) and the results are very pretty.

BTW be wary of premixed foods- make your own, then you know what you are feeding your critters.

My critters get steak, nori, natural seaweed, krill, myisis, brine, raw shrimp, scallop, garlic, corn, carrots, cucumber and sometimes....lobster or snow crab- they love it. Got a cookie sheet and a blender? If so, make your own food, put it on wax paper in the freezer, let it freeze, cut it up and there ya have it. The rule in my house hold- I have to do this in the garage. ::)