Xenia vs acro

Discussion in 'Coral' started by muggle, Jun 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. muggle

muggle Purple Spiny Lobster

In the back of my tank I had some xenia on a back rock and on the rock in front of it I had an acro frag that is growing nicely. For some reason my xenia decided it wanted to walk and some stalks have split onto the rock in front of it that my acro is on. Will they learn to co exist if the xenia nears the acro, will the xenia potentially over run the Acro, will I need to cut the stalks of xenia off the rock that the acro on, thoughts? Thanks

Looking to add 1 or 2 more pieces of coral, currently have xenia, blue tip stag horn, maxima clam, daisy polyps, button polyps, hammerhead, lobophylia, pociiliopora, tubinaria, montipora's, brain maze, green finger leather, candy cane, green acro, devils hand, some names could be spelled wrong, sm plate coral, sun coral, sm can frag, some zoas...was thinking of either a favia or larger acan piece and have seen can pricesnfrom 80 to 180 bucks...space is limited as I think I'm nearing completion on corals. Any suggestions appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

I honestly don't have an answer for you but I'm following this thread because I have some Xenia doing basically the same thing. My Xenia is growing towards a colony of star polyps and actually they have just started touching each other. So far neither seems to be affected. I'm guessing that since Xenia is mostly a filter feeding coral that it doesn't have much of a stinging touch. When I have touched the Xenia myself on accident in the past I have never felt that sticky feeling that you get from frogspawn or something like that.

4. muggle

Well hopefully someone will have the answer

5. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Xenia can be invasive and your Acro will get covered and die. Trim the Xenia back to where you want it.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I currently have a Millepora sitting in some Xenia. The reason this acropora is placed here is because of it's aggressive nature to other acropora. I have not seen an issue of yet, going 3 months. A slower growing acropora you might have an issue with but I currently do not.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

About a months growth difference in the images.

7. muggle

any coral suggestions?

8. Click Here!

9. jrwoltman

jrwoltman Skunk Shrimp

+1 on that, kill the xenia or it will overgrow your acro.