xenia splitting

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by EPIC LOKI, May 27, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billy31422

billy31422 Feather Duster

if your lighting isnt too strong xenia wont grow out of control. xenia is a great beginner coral. it will be the first thing to tell you if something is wrong with your water and it will come back from a lot of abuse.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Superpede1

Superpede1 Astrea Snail

I purchased my Xenia when it was splitting, I added it to my tank and bam! It was dead the next day:(! There goes my $45 :(. I dont get it either because the tank perameters where fine, the feather duster I got (from the same place) also died within two days. Too bad I got my stuff from a place that has no warrenty.

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Your Damsels may be the culprit in the demise of your Xenia!!! I had some Xenia in my 75 and my 4-stripe Damsel ate the polyps, so I removed the Xenia and put it into my 35hex tank and it regrew and has grown as well.

5. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

Hmm, would a coral beauty have a problem with xenia?

6. Superpede1

Superpede1 Astrea Snail

It was the Fiji Xenia in my 10 gallon. To be honest they where looking pretty bad when I looked at them in the bag. I thought they would open up and start looking better but they just kept going downhill. WHat really pissed me off is the store I got them from had no warrenty like most of the other stores so even though it hadnt been 24 hours they where dead and my $45 was gone :(. I will never buy live stock from that place again.

1 person likes this.
  7. EPIC LOKI

EPIC LOKI Astrea Snail

serotonin... i had a coral beauty in the tank with the xenia and he totally ignored the xenia but from what i hear its more luck of the draw when it comes to coral beautys picking at corals (some do some dont)...Superpede1 sorry to hear about your loss dont know what to tell ya..it happens to us all

8. Click Here!

9. JeridJohnson

JeridJohnson Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I really like to see the xenia do its thing.. My original peice I bought is simply ripping.. I have found the easiest way to frag it is to put a rock next to it and within a couple weeks it has attached.. You can then just cut them appart and you are good to go..

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Xenia will spread on its own. As mentioned, by placing a rock or placing the Xenia close to the tank glass the Xenia will spread towards it and move or spread. Xenia grows and spreads pretty rapidly under good conditions...