xenia slow down!!!

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by JayTropical, Jun 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

I havent got that much grow under pc lights and high flow.. just moved them under mh lights and slow flow... so I'll see if that helps.

2. Click Here!

3. JayTropical

JayTropical Purple Spiny Lobster

Mine have been under no direct flow across them cause I like to watch them pulse freely, so I think low flow is just fine, they get everything they need from the light.

4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Jealous!! I just got two things of xenia today, so I'm hoping mine grow like yours! Looks awesome!

5. JayTropical

Thanks kc! Goodluck with yours. Only recommendation I have is put them front and center at the highest point of your tank... that's what worked for me anyway.

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

thanks for the tip! I have picked out the perfect spot....well, I think it's perfect, I shall see if the xenia do too! I picked a lower flow area for the pulsing, since I want to be able to see them pulse.

7. Zombie

Zombie Plankton

My xenia also exploded and grew like weeds,all i did was move it into higher flow and it stopped growing all together,not direct linear flow but just a higher flow area than it was before. I gave a few frags to a few people and while some had excelent growth others stuggled to keep it alive,from Mh to t5,Dosing iodine did encourage them to grow and pulse more .

8. Click Here!

9. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

I've seen them fragged by cutting a limb and removing from it's current location.

10. NinjaBum

NinjaBum Spaghetti Worm

You can also always keep something more aggressive than it is as a barrier, like torch coral or something that will sting it, I don't know how Xenia goes, but I know it will work with Anthellias and I think in that battle Torch> Xenia

Mine werent growing that fast but it may be cause pom poms are slower growing. I had em under 8 t5 bulbs and I started seeing new stalks start popping up on their little rock within a week, I lowered the light for other reasons and had to move them to a moderate flow area and they slowed way down in the growth department.

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I'd recommend being proactive here. Once it tries it'll get its slimy self pieces on another rock and then you'll forever battle it on that new rock... You want to trim it back before it tries to jump rock...

I ended up getting rid of all my xenia and had to nuke the rock it was on to keep it away... such a pita. never again

12. JayTropical

ive heard Hydnophora do a good job at keeping them in check because of their nasty sting. i have a hydno frag in the corner of my tank but havent tried putting it close yet.