Xenia question

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by hottielover14, Jul 1, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

so your saying that i should wait on the Xenia and get more LR. The xenia comes on a 7 lb. LR.

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

If you want the Xenia then just get another 15 - 20 lbs of LR in addition.

4. hottielover14

ok it's a good deal for the LR too its fully cured and it is only $64 for 20 lbs.

5. hottielover14

HELP!!!!! My Xenia i just bought a couple of days ago is now shrinking and losing it's symbiotic algae. I researched it and it sound like coral bleaching. It's caused by overheating usually. So i checked my tank and its at like 86 my therm. says. I don't think my therm. works it's one of those strip ones. I've had my heater for about 2 years. IT's a 200 watt heater. I took it out for now to see if it cools down. Will my xenia die.

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I have no idea if your xenia will die. You'll have to wait and see. Don't know your physical location, but it sounds like AC or a chiller are in order.

7. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Mine died for some reason, maybe the temp got a little high plus my water paramaters are off.
    I scraped off the rock clean and put it back in the tank. I was told later if I had left some of the xenia on the rock that it would have grown back. Hopefully yours wont die but if it does don't throw the rock out.

Do any of you guys agree with this or is it best to totally get rid of whats left of the dead xenia?

Cindy

8. Click Here!

9. hottielover14

i just attached some xenia to a rock with rubber bands. how do u know if it's too tight. I put it around the stalk part so its pushed against the rock. if it's to tight will it kill it.

10. hottielover14

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Don't buy xenia online they don't ship well. Also they are very senstive to the change in environment so make sure you accummliate them properly. To have xenia expand you just place a rock next to it make sure the line up with the rocks it is on. When the conditions are good it will reproduce very fast and quickly. The thing about xenia is a good coral to produce and sell them to others or sell some back ot the fish store they will either give you some credit or small feed.

12. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

I got a great piece of pulsing xenia yesterday and I'm not sure where exactly to put the thing. It is already quite attached to a piece of rock, and I currently have it near the top of my rock work, pretty close to a power head. It's opening beautifully in the morning and looks pretty nice flowing around, but I would like to see it pulse more. Would I get more pulse if I put it in an area with less flow? If so, would it be happy there? Is there anything in particular I could add (after testing of course) that may increase the pulsing? I've heard they love iodine.