Xenia query

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by target001, Jul 2, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

er those heaters can be tricky

Hi,
    I bought a nice titanium heater my lps says it has a long warranty my problem was that every time i did skimmer maint I would bump the little box that has the thermostat and it would move it was very efficient and would spile those temps in about an hour, I finally took some silcon glue and glued that dang thermostat at the correct temps if I need to I candig it out a little, this prevents accidental spiles in themps due to the fact the dial is so easy to move.
    It aint pretty but it stay put.
    Doug
    [​IMG]

put a big old drop of silicon on the red dail its stays put now They should make a lock down on that dial many thermostat have that. and I would avoid glass ones like the plague.....

2. Click Here!

3. target001

target001 Skunk Shrimp

avoid glass heaters? dint know there was another kind? i might need to look a lil further into that i think

i lowered the temp on my heater to 20 deg this morning hope it will do the trick till payday, cant help but notice my tank should be at 25/26 deg C, the heater was set to 22 deg C and the water temp is 28 sometimes over close to 29 deg C.....

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

You could place the heater inside a piece of PVC piping for protection, also good to use if you have eels, grouper, and many other large fish to avoid the glass shattering due to banging up against the glass of your tank!!

5. Sndwave80

Sndwave80 Bristle Worm

Glass heaters are OK for sump applications, but in tank you should use a metal model/ hard plastic covered heater or even one that has a protective casing to prevent it from breaking when a peace of rock falls or fish runs into it.

6. target001

target001 Skunk Shrimp

my heater has those lil rubber mounts with the suction cups i checked over the heater this morn and there are no signs on broken glass theres no water inside the unit either still a good idea though,

brings another question forward, heater placement mines placed in the middle of my tank on the back wall of glass where there is plenty of water flow i thought it would make for a consistant tank temp threw out the whole tank does this sound right
    and would pvc around my heater make the tank temp any less consistant like colder spots in the areas that are away from the heater its self?

7. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i bought 2 titanium heaters by finnex and right after the 6 month warranty was up.one of them quit working and the other i have to turn up higher for it to work.i have'nt found them made by another brand.