Xenia problem

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by robsreef, Jan 25, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. robsreef

robsreef Plankton

Tank has been set up for 9 months, but a lot of the rock was transferred from my old tank that had been set up for years. I add calcium an iodine and buffer I do not test for these, just do what is says on bottle.

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I know that Xenia spp.(pulsing) is a more difficult Octocoral, than Anthelia species(waving hand coral). Bright light is very essential since they are symbiotic, and strong current flowing on them is favorable also. Most Xenia species come from tide pools and reef flats, so light is very important. The Anthelia species come from deeper water, so light requirements aren't as demanding. I'd keep an eye on your fish. Some fish will eat it. I have a 4 stripe damsel that had been eating my Xenia as if it were a piece of broccoli. Try and move the Xenia to another place in the tank.

4. robsreef

robsreef Plankton

My tank has been set up for about 9 months. A lot of the rock is from a tank I've had set up for years. I do not check my levels,I go by what ever the bottle says.

5. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

Might be the problem if you add too much of anything it could cause a problem.
    I bet it is the iodine. test for it then get back to us

6. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

ya xenia is some funny stuff...for me i have had 3 xenia (Species) for over 1 year...i have about 8-9 generations of 1, and 2-3 of the other...the thing with xenia is that they can go through little moody phases where they look dying...really unless they start melting they r ok...even if they shrivel up...one of mine did that and then the next day it was fine :)

7. telman2010

telman2010 Bristle Worm

I killed off a bunch of xenia when I overdoesed with calcium. If the levels get to high it will just melt away. But good grief you should see the coraline growth!

8. Click Here!

9. preciouslyinked

preciouslyinked Plankton

wow, I'm having the same problem with my Xenia's! I can't figure out what is wrong either, I test, dose with Iodine. The little patch I have was splitting just before this started. Let us know how yours are doing. Hopefully there is hope! I would hate to loose my little guys.

10. TEPOZ_AZTLAN

TEPOZ_AZTLAN Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I think we all have seen this little mood changes in xenias, mine do the same thing i started w/ 1 stalk of 1" now there is 5 stalks and one growing in the glass looks pretty cool, love this little ones, just be patient and keep an eye in your parameters

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Robsreef, are you aware this handle has been used for years by Rob of Robsreef (Rob B)? He's not a member here, but he;s very active on other sites.

12. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale