Xenia positioning

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Stingray, Jul 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

My rock with the xenia is positioned in a way that the xenia hangs off the rock from the back to the front of the tank, is this ok or should i turn the rock so the xenia stands up straight?

2. Click Here!

3. mact4life

mact4life Astrea Snail

I have Xenia all over my tank now. I placeed a piece in the middle of the right side of the tank. A few months later it spred like a weed. Almost over grown I take alot out . My suggestion is to leave it where you like it and soon it will spread all over.

4. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

It will stand itself up as it climbs higher in the tank toward the light, which it will.

If you want more once it gets established and is growing ok, as it moves if you cut part of the bottom with a razor blade it will leave a little bit of its self that will grow into a perfect copy of the original and you will have a trail of them as it moves and leaves a piece of itself along the way.

A secret though, unless you want to wake up one day and find that you have no Xenia left find another tank yours or a friends and give some away so when your all goes away (which it will someday, thats a given) you have some where to get a frag to start all over. I speak from experiance..........

5. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Thanks , Now you got me scared lol..

6. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

While Xenia has made me a heck of a lot of money selling to the LFS, it is still a weed in my tanks.
    I keep it on a rock that is high in my tanks with no other rocks within reach of it.
    Xenia tends to migrate upwards much more readily than downwards so it can be controlled that way to some degree.
    If it does start spreading where you don't want it, just place a piece of rubble against it so it can climb upwards onto the rubble and then remove it for trading or selling. This way there is no residue of the xenia in that spot, to regrow and need removing again. It will not prevent another piece higher up from moving down, but that normally only happens if above space is over crowded with no where to expand.
    I place the rubble against pieces before they move downward, giving me a steady supply for selling.