xenia not pulsing

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by ollie51, Apr 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

i was given some xenia that was pulsing but when i put it in my tank it didnt is this normal ?will it ever pulse ? it seems to be doing quite well its growing rapidly but no pulsing ,the tank its in is a 40 gal with 2 96 pc i have mh in my other tank but do i want to put xenia in a sps tank ? and will it make a difference in pulsing?

2. Click Here!

3. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

How is the flow in your tank?

4. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

flow is good they are moving real good ,nice swaying motion i have them on the bottom of the tank like i said they seem happy they have definitly grown in the 3 weeks ive had them

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Try moving it up a little.They love light.

6. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

Are you dosing phyto?

7. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

do you think the pc light is enough ? and if i move them up do you think there is any chance of the pulsing returning?

8. Click Here!

9. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

i use dt premium reef blend in all my tanks and some cyclops and oyster eggs when i can find it

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I think that light has alot to do with it. For ex. I have xenias on almost every level in the tank. The bottom colonies are alive but dont pulse. The ones in the middle pulse a little better and the ones near the top pulse the way they should. I have (2) 250w MH's. Trying placing them high in the tank and see what happens. Luna

11. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Light is very important to that' xenia and does very well ' hit it with as much light as you can
    getting it to pulse can be easy' maybe some indirect water flow' will get it to liven up ,

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Check the DKH levels thats what I have found to make them act a bit sluggish I use them at our shop as an indicator of needing to cut the reactors up to raise the DKH that has fallen off. As for lighting VHO's and P/C or T5 do very well as they don't do well under strong direct lighting that also tends to just brown them all up. Oh and watch dosing the Plankton it can ruin your tank.. Also its not even know what Xenia's feed on and or why the even pulse for that matter . Lots of theories though..