Xenia - March '06 Coral of the Month

Discussion in 'Coral of the Month' started by Matt Rogers, Mar 1, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

Its always fun to bump good threads if your adding PICS:)

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Just as a random bit of info. Humbugs/striped damsels "will" eat xenia.

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Now here is a coral I have not been able to keep. When I get new lighting, I will try again.

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

6. missionsix

If your bump is regarding lighting, then that must be the magic trick. That's what I have compared to the latest things I've seen.
    Nutrient rich water. Don't have it.
    Iodine supplement. Don't do it. Even regarding water changes. I just did one that was 5 gallons and it had been a while since the last.
    Correct flow. I have had it in all kinds of flow that have never affected the "pulse". I have even had it directly in front of a powerhead carelessly.

It has pulsed minutes after acclimating and pulses 24/7. I can shine a flashlight in there all hours of the night and see it going to work. There are speculations to why it pulses somewhere on a different site that I should find and de-bunk their claims as well. I'll try and find it.

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Yeah, I noticed it pulsing hours after dark too.

8. Click Here!

9. feixjai

feixjai Fire Worm

Ive had mine for maybe 4 months now. At first it seemed like it wasnt going to make it, but recently it started springing up again. Definitely a great coral to add. The only problem with mine is that it doesnt pulse. It has only pulsed when it was in my 24 for a couple of weeks, and it stopped till now in the new 40.

10. missionsix

Let me shoot this one down also......

11. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

my xenia and heteroxenia both grow at insane speeds, the silver branching xenia stops pulsing and closes up at night, but that seems to be when it moves and grows also, it is always moving towards the flow and light leaving a goo in it's wake and that goo turns into new stalks

the heteroxenia does the same thing with the exception that it never stops pulsing (least in my tanks) I have found that the pencil urchin I got has a taste for the heteroxenia though he's made a few stalks disappear already so he's going to have to go away

I can say it likes a small amount of NO3 present, it likes heavy flow, it likes light but I dont know how much really I've kept it under PC's and T5's with pretty much equal results never tried it under MH's