Xenia looking like it's wilting

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by m_hsiao, Jan 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

Okay so my xenia has been growing and fragging quite a bit recently.. maybe this is the problem for this concern if it's fragging a lot maybe it wilts a little bit or no?
    It's not melting away or anything and it's still pulsing but the polyps and the stalks have shrunk quite a bit.. this started happening after i installed a koralia 1 into my 40G breeder *36x18x16..
    I tried turning off the koralia overnight as I was concerned there may be too much flow although xenia are suppose to be very hardy and I didn't have any direct current going at the spots where the xenia were anyways..
    My water parameters ammonia nitrate nitrite all test 0
    ph is at 8.2
    calcium is 450
    water is in pristine condition..
    haven't added any liverock lately
    haven't added extra lighting lately either
    no deaths in the tank recently
    all other corals are thriving and fragging
    i just took a small frag off my mother colony for my torch coral :D
    any ideas? or do xenias do this once in a while? i've had it for about 2 months and never seen it like this? not really worried that it's going to lead to demise but just concerned that it's not looking healthy

2. Click Here!

3. m_hsiao

one more thing to add, the funny thing, i bought a koralia 1 for my brother's tank as well, and his xenias are doing the exact same thing, under exact same circumstances as me in terms of not adding live rock, no extra lighting, good water parameters

4. tronb24

tronb24 Coral Banded Shrimp

I think it's common. I just read about this on the site below because I just got a Xenia recently. In the 4th paragraph the author briefly mentions it.

To Pulse or Not to Pulse

5. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

have you tried moving the koralia at all?

6. m_hsiao

i turned off the koralia overnight to see if it's the water flow that was making the difference.. and i guess it wasn't.. and i have moved it around with the water flow as well, nothing is really working.. i'm going to give it some time i guess and go from there.. the first time i kept xenia i had it dissolve and demise so i know what to look for.. i don't really think it's going to lead to a demise like i mentioned above, but this does call for concern and i just want to know if someone had a similar problem and did something that did get their xenia back on track, thanks guys for the fast replies

7. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

good luck with your xenia!!

8. Click Here!

9. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I have several koralia's with xenia and I don't think they're too blame. I know they like iodine though but I wouldn't go adding unless you have an idea of how much is already there.

10. m_hsiao

i do small doses of iodine once a week.. same dose i've been doing for the past few months.. i only do about 5-6 drops of iodine since i don't have an iodine test kit

11. bc219

bc219 Millepora

Mine gets mad if it has too much waterflow and it took more than one day to get happy again after the last time it was irritated from flow. Try moving the koralia around? Then again it is only a koralia 1 so it shouldn't be hitting it THAT hard... I dunno... good luck with it!

12. m_hsiao

there is no direct flow, my xenia is top left top corner and bottom left corner and my koralia is all the way to the top right side of the tank shooting flow onto the glass and bouncing off the glass into some rocks.. weirddddd :X
    oh well i'll keep you guys updated, good luck to me :D