Xenia & Iodine...?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Aqua World Clif, Jul 10, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Aqua World Clif

Aqua World Clif Plankton

So the other day while at work, a customer comes in and we start chatting about the benefits of iodine to xenia coral. Besides the fact that xenia coral seems to grow larger when iodine is added to the mix, does anyone know what exactly iodine does to xenia?

:confused: Help is much appreciated!

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Hmmm this is definatly a tricky idea...xenia....hmm we dont even know why they pulse lol. Might have to do with a chemical reaction within the coral that requires iodine.

4. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

I've got a xenia farm and don't know why they like it either, but it sure seems to help.

Bruce, a bit of useless trivia. They pulse faster in a higher Ph environment.

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

The basis of Xeniidae and its pumping/pulsing action is thought to be directly related to its high dependence on DOM(dissloved organic matter). Xenia require this as well as a strong dependence on zooxanthellae for nutrition. All Xenia sp. are symbiotic and none are hermatypic(contribute to the framework of a coral reef due to its calcareous skeleton).
    Iodine acts as an astringent and antiseptic while offering bacteriostatic effects on soft corals most notibly. It is also hailed for its ability to retard bleaching in corals and help to heal corals having bleached due to stress etc. Its ability to increase coloration and connection to overall health and growth in corals has also been attributed to an iodine supplement(most common form is potassium iodine) with a stronger form of iodine called Lugol's solution.
    Unfortunately, there really isn't much by way of concrete evidence that proves these notions to be correct, however, many corals and inverts react favorably to iodine.

Careful addition/supplementation of iodine should be monitored and tested frequently to avoid overdosing due to its being cytotoxic as an antioxidant.
    I wish there was concrete evidence and truth about iodine and its profound benefits with regards to the coral world...!

6. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Yes that is true, i found this during a study i did on 3 different xenia corals. Although they pulse faster with higher ph and slower with low ph...we dont know why they pulse to begin with. I assume they pulse faster with the less acidic water and slower because of excess acidity.