Xenia Growth on Glass?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by brannock_16, Dec 31, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. brannock_16

brannock_16 Ritteri Anemone

Well as the title says, can you take a few stalks of pulsing xenia, attach them to a few pieces of rubble, and then glue those pieces of rubble with attached xenia to the back piece of glass on the aquarium and have them grow on the glass?

I currently have some pulsing xenia that is growing like a weed and thought it might be feasible, and then I could remove the colony from my live rock and concentrate it on the glass.

I think that having a back glass full of pulsing xenia would look quite interesting, and with time quite amazing!

Your opinions and expertise are much appreciated!

2. Click Here!

3. RustyShakleford

RustyShakleford Feather Duster

the fish store i go to has there xenias on the back wall of a tank, it looks pretty cool i would deff do it

1 person likes this.
  4. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

I havent seen it with xenia but have seen it with GSP and it looks great IMPO. I dont see any reason why it wouldnt work.

5. brannock_16

I was just concerned if the xenia would adhere directly to the glass. I know you can do it on plastic overflow boxes, but was unsure on regular aquarium glass?! :D

6. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

If I thought that I would like the way it would look, I would try it and see if it worked. If it didnt oh well. I would say lesson learned.

7. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I would put a piece close to the back glass.. My xenia was on my glass, on the rock next to it and I even found some in my shoe.. Well not really but you get the idea...

8. Click Here!

9. brannock_16

That is very true. I will frag some of the stalks tomorrow since I don't have to work and place them in plastic cups with rubble to let them attach and hopefully within a week they will be attached and firmly glued to the back of the tank.

I will continue to update everyone on this one and let you see what happens.

More info is always appreciated! :D

10. brannock_16

Wow...you must be a master reefer :eek:! Ha Ha

1 person likes this.
  11. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

yes xeina will grow on glass with no problem mine have moved off the frag plugs i have them on in the frag tank and are climbing right up the glass at this very moment and this is not the first time they have done it.

12. extremeshocks87

extremeshocks87 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

My lfs also has them on glass. If you lean the stalk on the glass they will start to grow on the glass its cool.Did it on my 46 but not on my new tank.Good luck.