X58 or P67?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by blackraven1425, Mar 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. saltyfresh

saltyfresh Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Why do you say that?? A Mac will last 10 years and still be faster than a brand new pc. I look at it you pay for what u get
    I am not arguing I am just ?

2. Click Here!

3. saltyfresh

saltyfresh Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

And also you can NOT get a virus
    And on top of that you get a sold aluminum laptop case
    But than agin it is ur money so I can't control what mistakes u make

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

A Mac will be just as slow, if you had the software Windows computers do. You pay double the amount for the same hardware I'm about to buy. Just look at what you'd pay for my computer at Apple. I have a Core i7-970 I'm gonna get, a Rampage IV motherboard, I have 2x GTX280 graphics cards, a 9800GTX for PhysX, 4GB of RAM, 2 64GB SSDs in RAID0. Just look at the price on a comparable machine from Apple, for real. The RAID card alone is $700 from them. They only offer a 512GB SSD, but it's $1,250, so you can assume that 128 would be $200, and it'll only give the performance of one of my SSDs, so you'd need two. Dual graphics? Another $250.

I have a solid Alienware P2 chassis already (and could get many much cooler ones), so I don't care about the decent chassis they have. Those numbers (about $2,600 if you're keeping count and assuming you can get hardware they don't offer) are on top of the $2,500 base cost for the machine, and the near total inability to upgrade the machine later on - I can't really piecemeal it like the machine I have now, and upgrade only what needs to be upgraded (like I'm doing now), it's always a brand spanking new system or their insanely overpriced hardware (it's even worse for their upgrade parts).

The kicker on the price argument? I'd need to rebuy about $10,000 worth of software, half of which isn't even made for the Mac at all!

I say that they slow down over time because I fix them on a regular basis, and people do the same exact thing to them as Windows computers. They cram the computer up with a bunch of crap, then wonder why it doesn't work or moves slow. It just happens faster with Windows, because the vast majority of Windows software doesn't exist in any form for the Mac.

That includes viruses and spyware. But you're ruining your virus protection every time you tell someone to buy a Mac. Security through obscurity only works if your system is obscure. With the recent surge in the popularity of these overpriced beasts (and the corresponding rise in market share), if the trend continues, I'll bet you'll start seeing more and more spyware and viruses built for the Mac. If you think there isn't a single virus out there for Macs right now, you're just completely wrong about that.

And I love how you're telling me I'm making a mistake going with a Windows computer, with absolutely zero in the way of technical reason (Other than "OOOH, shiny aluminum!") why I'm making a mistake.

5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I would go with the RAM. And in the future there will be BIOS updates that will support faster processors. Assuming they use the same socket type. It's a gamble really. But I would go with RAM. Just my opinion. But please, whatever you do, stay away from overpriced MAC. I'm with you all the way and felt cheated on when my wife brought one home.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk.

6. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

LMFAO. I've built and upgraded my own systems since I'm 7; I have no intention of turning to a locked down prison....oh, sorry, Mac.

There isn't an upgrade path in terms of processors on X58. The socket for the first gen Core i7s (LGA 1366) is being replaced with the LGA2011 that's gonna be used on the next gen enthusiast/performance chips.

I ended up ordering the Rampage III Formula X58 mobo + i7-970 Gulftown 6-core processor, since I have an extra 9800GTX that I'll toss into the mix as a dedicated PhysX card. That wouldn't be possible to do with the PCIe limits that Sandy Bridge has, especially if I still wanted my SSDs to perform at 500+ MB/s, on top of the 2-way SLI GTX280s.

7. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Sounds like a killer rig, man! You'll enjoy it :)

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk.