X10 questions

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by crappyballer, Jun 6, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

alright so after reading the thread about the reef software. i am all geeked up on the x10 stuff i went out and found an older computer to put in the tank room and run the software, just to confirm with anyone who might know. you would need this :
    Appliance Module (3-pin) Grounded - AM466

and this :
    USB Wireless Transceiver
    or
    eBay: X10 PRO 2-Way Powerline Interface (PSC05) (item 330128191197 end time Jun-07-07 18:36:32 PDT)
    or
    eBay: X10 FireCracker Home Automation PC Interface X-10 CM17A (item 330128176771 end time Jun-07-07 18:00:35 PDT)

to control something from the reefcon software? i guess the real question is which interface to use or will all 3 work?

2. Click Here!

3. crappyballer

alright i figured it out you need the 2 way wireless transcevier w/ the firecracker, plus the wall outlet module to make it work with your computer. or you can just get the 2 way usb powerline interface and that would cut out the wireless transceiver i think. here is a link to the 2 way wireless transceiver.

Wireless Transceiver - TM751

4. crappyballer

i hooked up all the x10 stuff and the Dr. Aquarium software and it is awesome watching the computer handle everything. anyone need some timers i've got two that i have no use for....hurray x10. here is a link to the software

Doctor Aquarium

it seems to have much more potential than the reefcon software so i wanna try it out for a month and i think it will be worth the 50 bucks. now i just have to save up for the dr. daq data logger Dr DAQ Data Logger with built in sensors - includes oscilloscope and data logging software

5. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Not to dampen your enthuiasm and victory...but...what would happen if the computer crashed or the power goes out?? This stuff is way over my head!

6. crappyballer

i have a backup power source that will run 900watts for 9 minutes i don't have 900 watts through the computer so i have about a 30minutes of backup power. if the computer crashed then yes that would suck and i would need some timers. until i fixed the computer. the computer i am using is only for controlling the reef, so crashing and bad things like that should be minimal.

and for the dr. aquarium software the trial version only lets you run it for a set amount of time. i found this out when i woke up this morning and my fuge lights were not on. so i had to run reefcon until i can afford the dr. aquarium software. the next test is to see if reefcon will turn the halide on at 9:30

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007