*x-file theme song plays*

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Swisswiss, Feb 18, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

anyone else read that the meteor that hit russia and apparently landed in a lake is unfindable? AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

who ever has more precise facts or has been following this closer please share, im fascinated by this sort of stuff

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I found the whole thing to be absolutely fascinating and I was also surprised to learn that the meteor ended up in a body of water. Seems odd that something 55 ft long and weighing 10,000 tons leaves no significant sized pieces. It was probably larger (unless that is the weight calculation prior to burn up) before it hit the atmosphere which makes me wonder why no one saw it coming.

An amazing thing though.

4. Swisswiss

i believe that was prior to burn up, just saw a news report where a russian expert said there should be still a rock roughly the size of a watermelon somewhere down there.

also small fragments were found, heavily composed of iron and minerals.

it came from saturn's ring correct?

5. maxcanada

maxcanada Astrea Snail

Came from the kaiser belt

6. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

Reason it wasn't detected was because the sun was in our eyes... is like trying to watch a BB flying at you when a MH is pointed straight at your face. or more relatable, trying to catch a baseball with the sun in your eyes... apparently. NASA wanted to launch a satellite/telescope (meteor detector) which would orbit the sun far enough away from earth to look back at us and be able to detect things like this. Budget cuts made it impossible though. Maybe things will finally change. Though at this point I think it's more likely that one of these new asteroid mining companies will be the ones to make it happen.

7. SeminoleB

SeminoleB Coral Banded Shrimp

Also, There has been a huge treasure hunt for the fragments, some pieces are worth more per ounce than gold!

8. Click Here!

9. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

I can see agent mulder out there looking for little green men now lol

10. Swisswiss

Crazy! They Want a man on mars by 2030?

11. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

Yeah... It's doable technologically I think but politically?... hate to say it but the only way I see the US getting there is by some kind of international opportunity to tag along... Don't get me wrong, I think that it would be great if the first steps on Mars were from an international team... Just wish it would be us heading up the effort and not simply hitching a ride with the Russians or China.
    Space is a passion of mine though so... even more so than this hobby. I'd sign up in a heartbeat to go to the moon or Mars but my wife wouldn't be interested in a one way trip and she's my top passion so...

If only she read the forums, that would be worth a few browny points right!?

12. Swisswiss

Haha, I absolutely agree with you, after all you are the pioneers of the this technology anyway. We have made some decent progress in Europe in space observation but from what I know the explorer bots are 100% American tec no? Would be a good global image (and we all know it would only be an image) if we all wen up there