WTF is this on my fish.

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by geekdafied, Sep 16, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Garlic boost's their immune system, its an ingedient in Formula 2, but I enrich it more with garlic extract.

As for garlic powder, not sure how you would get it to stay on the food unless you dissolved the food mixed with the powder and then dehydrate it again.

Also, when using garlic extract, WEAR GLOVES. Your other half will thank you for it, hahahahaha.

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Good to know and you can get that garlic smell off by rubbing your fingers on a stainless steel knife(don't get cut!)...Martha Stewart taught me that one!;D

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Here is an update pic of the female clown, she looks 100 times better and starting to get her color back.
    [​IMG]

the white specs on the bottom are dead critters.

2 people like this.
  5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Well, thought I would give the powder a try anyway...just let it and the food soak togehter for a while. I don't know how much garlic stuck to food, but the fish feeding frenzy was significantly more frantic then normal.

Must be something they like about garlic. (not so much unlike us. :p )

6. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

You can buy garlic extract at the grocery store. Its the same thing as the "garlic extreme" you can buy from the fish store, but a lot cheaper. I bought 6oz for $10 at the grocery store. You could also make your own if you're willing, haha.

7. Linda

Linda Feather Duster

He looks great. I think it's admirable how hard you all work to learn and save the fishies! Too many people just flush and run....to the LFS! Thanks for teaching the rest of us, too. :)

8. Click Here!

9. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Ive had aquariums all of my life, I can remember having a freshwater tank when I was about 4 yrs old. Even with all of my experience, Ive never had as many problems as I have had this year. Its really taught me a lot, and with all of my problems/set backs, Im sure its helped several other reefers on here so they dont make my mistakes and learned that you absolutly positivly have to have a QT for fish and CORALS.

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Even if you flush and run, it doesnt solve the problem, only causes more down the road. When people add new fish without fixing the problem, those new fishies will meet the same demise.

11. Linda

Linda Feather Duster

True enough. Unfortunately, there's a lot of people who'll just keep buying fish to replace the dead ones. I guess it's easier than resolving the problem? Too bad/

1 person likes this.
  12. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Well in saltwater, that gets expensive, lol. I already have a large shopping list for new tank mates, but my tank isnt seeing another fish for atleast 6 more weeks. Then its getting a new sand bed, everything is getting scrubbed and dipped, basically starting all over again and hopefully just having a mini cycle. Plus a UV sterilizer.