WTF is this on my fish.

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by geekdafied, Sep 16, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Mine dont have marine velvet. Mine did have a lot of excess slime on it, but not anymore.

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Oh I saw his first Photo and it has lice aka mutant pods :) then I saw this clown with the velvet I though it was his also I missed Fletch's post.
    String moved faster then I did I guess ?

1 person likes this.
  4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol: I hate it when that happens :D

5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

hahahaha, it did move along pretty fast, I guess we're getting old, hahahaha.

by the way tangie, I did have marine velvet. I never seen marine velvet before, seen velvet in freshwater, just never saltwater, and it didnt look the same. I came across some information about it by accident and figured I'd read it. I know where it came from too. I added some corals from my tank, and I had dinoflagelettes show up 2 weeks later. Marine velvet is a form of dinoflagelettes. That tank had been up for over 3 yrs and that was the first time it ever had dinoflagelettes, so it can only be that one source. Now I did also have isopods aswell, thats what got the tang along with marine velvet. The isopod problems weakened the tangs immune system and then it was attacked by the dino's. Then the dino's reproduced fast enough that started effecting everything else in the tank. Luckily the same treatment for dino's is the smae for isopods, so the cupramine is working well.

Marine Velvet Disease

So if you wouldnt had mentioned Marine velvet, tangie, I would have never thought to have read that.

So thanks tangie!

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

One of these days I'll put it all in a book then people can buy what I know :) I think most mis diagnose many ailments Its really hard to say Unless you can take a sample and do a culture. But short of that I will use a good broad spectrum antibiotic when ever I see a skin disorder and or cloudy eyes and rapid breathing. Yes the sots this started with are isopods and they pulled its immune system right on down.
    May want to start soaking their food a few times a week in the Stuff we use I have seen it do wonders with sick fish and also warding off a disease problem. I soak all the food here and at home several times a week , their colors look better and fish are very healthy. I just saved a powder blue who would not eat for several week's in our tank at home..

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

What are you soaking your food in Tangster?

J

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

REEF Plus Jason thats it :) Simple be effective

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I had been using garlic extract, but when I went on vacation to CT/ME I bought some prime reef instead of formula 2 that I normally use and then soak the formula 2 in the garlic extract. But I was away and sarahs mom feed my tank for me(she totally over fed of course) so when I got home my tank was overrun with dinoflagelettes. Then about a week after I got home, thats when I noticed the first isopod.

11. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Interesting......what does the garlic do? the fish don't mind the taste?

12. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Would food soaked with regular old garlic powder be of any use :confused: