Urgent Wrasse Won't Eat!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by kcbrad, Feb 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

the thing you use to measure battery power?

2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Bump :) Sorry!! But I really need some ideas on getting this guy to eat.

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

KcBrad

its not very sceintific but if you just put the tip of a single finger in the tank does it tingle - I noticed this once when salt creep on my lights had bridged the gap between the electrics and the water (note if you have a damaged cuticle or broken skin anywhere this can increase the tingling sensation

if you find it does tingle then isolate the cause - unplug one thing at a time, check again and when it stops tingling you have your culprit

secondly
    are you running carbon especially since you recently added medications
    if you are , have you changed it since using meds?
    if you are not, provided you have finished the course of meds, I would run carbon for 3 or 4 days and then bin it, and replace with new carbon

Steve

1 person likes this.
  5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

My finger doesn't tingle in the water - so I guess that's a good thing! :)

I stopped running the carbon during the treatment, and put new carbon in after I did my 20 gallon water change. Before the water change and new carbon the wrasse wouldn't even come out of the rock work. Now he's out swimming all day, he just won't eat!! He wants to, but when he goes up to the food he passes on it, or takes it in and then spits it out.

6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

Still not eating :( hope he eats soon

7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Yeah - I think he likes irritating me! :eek:

8. Click Here!

9. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

They don't carry live brine. The only time he shows any interest in eating is when the food blows around in the power head's current. He chases it down and takes it in, but then just spits it out.

I just contacted Live Aquaria about it, so we shall see what they say.

10. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

+1 on the live brine. Have you tried soaking in garlic, or getting other food with high garlic content?

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I'll try to find live brine around here, but I've never seen any.

I've tried soaking in light garlic and massive amounts of garlic. Nothing helps. I've also tried pellets that have garlic in them.

12. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

well Ive been googling Melafix and Pimafix - with search parameters ( side effects)

cant find anything specific about wrasse but did find a few articles, posts on other threads on other sites indicating Melafix was causing issues in Labryinth fishes (Gouramis and Siamese fighters etc)

I was worried the chemicals may have caused some internal issues , hence the reluctance to swallow food stuffs - but I have drawn a blank which is good news I suppose

so its back to head scratching for me on this issue Im afraid

does your wrasse like to hunt amphipods and copepods on the rockwork ( My Banana, Radient and previous wrasse all enjoyed that) as maybe some garlic enhanced mysis rubbed onto a preffered rock , might trigger a feeding reaction

Steve