Wrasse not acting right...something is wrong!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Scubagator87, Jul 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scubagator87

Scubagator87 Skunk Shrimp

Hey guys, my melanarus wrasse is hanging out at the top and it looks like he might be having trouble breathing (not gasping at the surface quite yet), it almost looks like he might be having a buoyancy problem as well. Normally he's all over the tank and very active. I noticed he wasn't as active as normal yesterday. I just tried to feed and he did eat some but def not his normal ravenous self. I think his color looks a little dull, but it could just be my imagination. No noticable bumps or parasites, fins look fine, not frayed. No recent additions, other fish is acting normal.

My params are as follows

Temp: 76 degrees
    S.G.: 1.025
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 0
    PH: 8.1
    Ammonia:0

2. Click Here!

3. Scubagator87

I'm going to put in an extra air stone...don't know if that will help...but it can't really hurt

4. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

I don't really know what to tell you except if your not already soak your food in garlic, good luck.

5. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

How long have you had him?

6. Scubagator87

About two and a half months. And yea, i did put garlic in the food today. I guess all I can do is wait and see...no point in putting him through the stress of quarantine treatment if I'm not even sure whats wrong or how to treat it. If anything changes I'll post

7. Pip Logan

Pip Logan Feather Duster

Add the air stone IMHO. I have sufacated fish before its not fun.

8. Click Here!

9. Scubagator87

Yea, i added it. He's moving around a little more today, but still not right. I did take a real close look at his fins today and his tail fin has a very small little "thread" hanging of it. Not quite "ragged". Not sure if this is just a normal scrape. I do have some Melafix I can dose in the tank, however I have heard it foams and was wondering if I would have to remove the extra air stone from the tank.

10. Scubagator87

So I've been adding garlic and he's been eating pretty good (better than the other day when i noticed something was wrong). Today I noticed that one of his side fins is pretty shredded, not sure if this is due to aggression from the other fish, I then decided to add the Melafix (took out my carbon and turned off my protein skimmer, but kept my other air stone in). Did less than the recommended dosage.
    Here's hoping this helps :/

11. Scubagator87

So I've been adding garlic and he's been eating pretty good (better than the other day when i noticed something was wrong). Today I noticed that one of his side fins is pretty shredded, not sure if this is due to aggression from the other fish, I then decided to add the Melafix (took out my carbon and turned off my protein skimmer, but kept my other air stone in). Did less than the recommended dosage.
    Here's hoping this helps :/

12. Scubagator87

He took a turn for the worst, I don't think it was b/c of the melafix.

He's now lying in the corner and I don't think he's gonna come back from that, if he's not already dead

SO FRUSTRATING, I am so upset right now. It just seemed to happen for no reason :(

He has definitely been one of my favorite fish ever. Goodbye Mel :(