Wrasse hiding in rockwork...normal?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by dahos, Sep 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dahos

dahos Feather Duster

I recently purchased my first two wrasse and have seen them very little in the 5 days I have had them. A male and female. They are housed with a sailfin tang, a true perc, a foxface and two green chromis.

They seem to be hiding in the rockwork. The male comes out when I feed but the female stays hidden all the time.

Is this normal behaviour when first introduced to the tank?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

i would say this is normal and give them time. My wrasses have normally taken longer to adjust than my other fish although I have never had a fairy. Is anything showing aggression towards them?

4. dahos

dahos Feather Duster

No. They all seem to get along great.

5. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

I wouldn't be concerned yet but maybe Evolved will chime in.

6. Stovebolt-V8

Stovebolt-V8 Feather Duster

My cleaner Wrase sort of hides all the time except at feeding time. He just sits in a small alcove watching, comes out every-so-often to service his patients.

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

This is typical behavior for a new addition. This is not typical behavior for a Cirrhilabrus wrasse in the long run unless someone is bullying, however.

It may take 2-3 weeks for them to settle in; I wouldn't overly worry just yet.

However, I do hope you didn't purchase those two thinking they are a pair; they are not. You have two different species.

Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura in photo 1, Cirrhilabrus solorensis in photo 2.

8. Click Here!

9. dahos

dahos Feather Duster

OK. New turn of events. The one that is hiding more is now sorrounded by some type of webbing. Not sure if it is dead or dieing or not. Any clue? I am stumped.

Attached Files:

10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Fairy wrasse sleep in a mucous cocoon each night. I don't know whether this would be normal during the day though...

11. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Correct at night, and also correct for being unusual during the day, especially being completely exposed as such.

Can you see any movement of the fish? Any gill movement? I'd fear it died overnight.

12. dahos

dahos Feather Duster

It still has gill movement but no swimming at all. The mucous membrane is gone. I got it to swim a few inches but it wen back to hiding under a rock. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348081217.966975.jpg