WOW.... Possible tank crack need help asap

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Anthos312, Aug 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. silor

silor Sea Dragon

I would not trip to hard on that, get your tank as soon as you can and make sure that nobody puts any stress on the chip..
    If that was going to fail it would have already I would think.

2. Click Here!

3. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Yea that is the upside! Well I think I am looking for a 75 gallon + since i want to keep a tang or too. We will see what is available. I am alittle hesitant about upgrading to glass (especially after something like this), however acrylic has proven to be a huge PITA.

4. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

True but its not something I want to let sit and get worse. I will try to upgrade as soon as i can, a week and a half at most. Now i just gotta think about how im going to do this transfer.

5. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Whatever you do, dont rush to get something new when you can look on Craigslist and find something cheaper and probably bigger. Like others have said you can place fish and corals in buckets for the time being but dont foolishly spend money.

just my two cents.

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

That's so small, I would at least call the windshield repair places and see how much it would cost. There is a reason the insurance companies pay these place and don't charge your deductible....it stops the cracks from spreading.

I have been around aquariums for so many years and I've never seen a crack like that occur from tanks stresses. That's from an impact. Now you need to figure out who did it so you can have them pay Safelite Repair.

7. vawdka

vawdka Coral Banded Shrimp

I was going to ask if you think you might have a Stomatopod aka Mantis Shrimp in your tank. Maybe it was a hitchhiker or something. One could impact a tank hard enough it could cause that, but generally they don't hit the glass like that unless provoked. I know it is a long shot but just a thought. Good luck with the tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Definately no mantis. Woulda seen it and livestock would be affected. Although i did hear a loud pop one night recently. Maybe this was the acrylic?

10. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Its acrylic..... how can a windshield repair place repair a tank that is already established... Thanks very much for the advice! I am just doubting it would work.

I will never be able to figure out who did it. I had a drunken family reunion recently... Nobody would remember. :(

11. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

I agree with you on this and I do want to go big considering i live in a basement unit and dont have to worry about any structural issues.... However, I honestly am really iffy about craigslist and used tanks. People try to make a sell and I can never know what type of condition they kept everything in.

12. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

If you are going to for sure upgrade your tank then for now i would fill the crack with some acrylic epoxi to hold the crack together to be 100 percent sure that it wont spread and make a HUGE mess