WOW it is really hard to feed the right amount

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by monster, Mar 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. monster

monster Bristle Worm

With just two small clowns I am finding it very difficult to feed in the right amount so nothing goes to waste -- Now I see why the CUC before fish.

Oh well I will do my best till next weekend and then i will get me some CUC.

2. Click Here!

3. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

LOL... It is a delicate balance. You will get used to it quickly though.

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

It's easier when the tank is full than early on, TBH. You'll get the hang of it, though.

5. ed4

ed4 Plankton

Err on the side of smaller portions, than overfeeding.

6. tharsis

tharsis Peppermint Shrimp

yeah i have been trying to feed two percs as well, i have only had them a couple weeks and i have been having a hard time. They like to beg for food at the front of the tank and it is hard to say no to them. And like you mentioned portion control is really difficult, i will often have some that will settle on my substrate. It is kind of fun to see the bristle worms and brittle stars pop out though as soon as the food hits the water.

I too have to decrease the amount I feed them as I have since developed a green algae problem and my amphipod population has exploded...

7. kruserm

kruserm Plankton

I am/was having the same problem with an algae outbreak due to overfeeding. My turbo snails and lawnmower took care of the rocks but nothing was taking care of the sand bed and I started having some algae growing on the sand bed. During water changes I would suck up the sand then rinse the sand very well then put it back in the tank. I started cutting back on food and noticed a little improvement but thought I was not feeding enough. I purchased several nassarius snails and a sand sifting sea star. For now the algae is under control but it is still early is this problem.

8. Click Here!

9. VooDoo

VooDoo Fire Shrimp

I've suggested it before on previous threads, use a feeding syringe without a needle. You can pick one up at any pet store :)

10. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

it's also not a bad thing to siphon out the leftover food that's uneaten... though, feeding your worm and pod population isn't so bad either. How big is your tank?

11. dellyjoe

dellyjoe Teardrop Maxima Clam

ya i think a cuc is good for every tank and to tell you the truth i think that it is also fun to watch cuc do there job.

12. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

nassarius snails are one of my favorites of the clean up crew. so cool to watch the sand move and these little guys pop out to feed