Would You Go?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by inwall75, Oct 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I will be the first to admit that I've tried some weird things at a LFS I work at. However, believe it or not, most ideas actually work quite well. (On the other hand, some ideas have not done so well).

I'm working on some Halloween weekend ideas. Some of the normal ones will be done again because they've been shown to be successful. I'm going to throw another couple ideas in. However, I was thinking about another thing that is a little more "outside the box" than the other ideas and that is what I'm asking your opinion on.

Would you attend a Halloween Shopping by Moonlight Sale? We sell 5 or 6 brands of moonlights. Most of our "all in one" lighting fixtures have moonlights. Why not put them on sale? At the same time, why not let customers see what our various corals look like in the dark under moonlight and put corals on sale too. I'm thinking of only extending the normal Saturday hours from 8 to 9 and then turning off all lights but the moonlights. There will be 3 employees there already, so the total risk is an additional $30 in wages for the extra hour. I have a friend who will give me pumpkins for free. I've found reef-related pumpkin-carving stencils so I'm not worried about that cost. I was thinking that it might be a good idea to buy 2 black lights and place them on the floor so that customers could see each other. That's just another $60 so I'm thinking, for $100 in risk, lets let customers see what these corals will look like at night and then sell them the corals and moonlights for people who don't have them.

I admit this is an odd idea. All I'm asking is that if your LFS did this from 8 to 9 on Saturday night, would you attend?

2. Click Here!

3. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

If I had money and was looking to buy stuff most likely. But I would probably go earlier and see them under full light first then come back and get it. It is definitely a great idea. workers may need head lamps to see to bag and stuff though. Wouldn't want them dropping stuff or anything

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I have no shortage of red nor blue LED flashlights I can take to the store.

As far as your first comment is concerned, I WOULD FULLY EXPECT that people would have picked out a number of corals in their mind. Then when the lights go out, see how they looked during nighttime fluorescence.

5. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Id go for sure! I think thats a pretty cool idea now if other lfs heard about this in my area lol

6. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

That is true a lot could change under moonlight's but I think I would go more by day lights but that may just be me.

7. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Be careful of a dark environment and customers with sticky fingers.

It sounds interesting!

8. Click Here!

9. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Wouldn't have thought of that but good point...maybe block off dry goods area?

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I already have some thoughts on this. Right now the forecast is for us to be unseasonably warm (so no coats). If the weather changes, we might have to go to the annoying Sam's Club thing and have everyone that leaves, go through the lighted vestibule. (The building is 1/2 office space and 1/2 retail space with a vestibule that is rarely used).

This is easily done. Actually, I would be more concerned with someone entering the filtration room unseen. Sadly, at least once per year there is a story of a competitor taking out their competition by getting access unseen to the filtration rooms.

11. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

the theft thing would be a thought and the whole kids putting stuff into the tanks that would killthe live stock.

It would be cool as heck iIMO but there are alot of thingd to concider

12. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Don't feed the corals candy and keep your sticky fingers off of my glass!