Would you be ok with this?

Discussion in '3reef Forum News & Information' started by Matt Rogers, Apr 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Would you be ok with a Facebook 3reef Fan Box on the 3reef homepage?

1. Yes.

23 vote(s)
    79.3%
  2. No.

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Oh please....so people are voting no simply because they have to see the box?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Agreed on his av - wow!! :lol:

Yes, it really, really, is one of my pet peeves. My actual feelings towards the topic are not appropriate content for the site. I avoid sites which promote social networking like the plague.

I understand their purpose, but advertising each detail of your life is boring and frankly, I just don't care. I at least enjoy the ability to opt out or not be forced to view the content (I am able to hide /delete apps like MySpace, FB, etc on my BlackBerry - but new phones such as the Droid pushes them into your face with no ability to hide or remove - guess what, that phone went back).

Maybe have the option to hide the gadget in your profile, so those who want to view the content, can, and those that don't, get to hide it.

I do appreciate Matt at least throwing the vote out there, not many sites do that.

4. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

As long as it is smallish, I don't see an issue with it. Now if it is massive, then I would mind.

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I'm going to have Matt address this. In my mind, there's not going to be any content at all. I just think there's going to be a box that says "Click on me if you want to become a fan of 3Reef on Facebook".

Yeah, he's pretty cool that way

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I agree. Strongly. I avoid them too.

I motion mike's motion be removed ;)
    I don't agree with ya.

The question is "would I be OK with this" and "<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Would you mind if ...?"

It would not be OK with me and i would mind. I feel it's on topic.

Not that I'd literally avoid 3reef... but I do like the idea of having an option to disable it in my profile.

7. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

That's the way I took it as well.

8. Click Here!

9. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I think if it helps promote the site, then that's great. Matt puts a lot of hard work into this site and can use all the support, sponsors and members he can get.

I don't think having a small box there will hurt anybody. For instance, I can't stand Twitter and think it's ridiculous, but if he put a "follow me on Twitter" box I wouldn't care. I'd just ignore it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  10. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Fair enough. Motion removed. I think motioning is against the no politics rule of the user agreement anyway.

11. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

This is THE reef keeping site and if it helps bring more new comers to the hobby I say go for it.

12. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Matt could make an option to "hide" the box for users who dont wish to visually see it. Just throwing that out there.