would this work with bio-balls?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Peredhil, Oct 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RYU583

RYU583 Plankton

I never knew Bio Balls to be so bad...

I thought if you had enough mechanical filtration (fine and course pads) before them....they would hold enough good bacteria to help out allot.
    and if they stay clean ..maybe maintenance free too

if that's not the case then I will throw mine out lol

2. Click Here!

3. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

North Yorkshire, England, Europe, Earth, Milkyway,
    They can still build up a lot of bacterial crud over time and will need cleaning even if you use a mechanical filter before the bioballs. Live rock and sand do not have this problem as a CUC will feed on excess biofilm and flow in the tank will remove if from the rock and send it to corals which feed on this bacterial mulm or it will end upgetting collected by your skimmer and removed. Bacterial mulm/crud will also end up on the sand where worms will feed on it, followed by ocassional siphoning will remove this during a water change.

It also depends how you are using the bioballs, if they are completely submerged then you will get pods and worms etc feeding on the bacteria, but then the waste from these organisms will clog the bioballs as well. If using bioballs for wet/dry filtration then the same problem will occur with bacterial build up.

4. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

I am currently using live rock, live sand, skimmer and activated carbon, and soon to be adding a zeo reactor with chucks of CaCO3 rock in it. The rock will provide a substrate for the bacteria and it is easily cleaned by lifting a handle daily to aggitate bacterial mulm build up to also help feed corals etc.

5. RYU583

RYU583 Plankton

crap, seems as if I have wasted my money on these damn balls then:-/

how often should one siphon a SW tank? ......pardon ...I'm new

6. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

Don't get me wrong, bioballs work well in promoting aerobic bacteria but do not promote anaerobic bacteria of which you need a balance. I lightly siphon my sand in the corners of the tank and carefully around live rock once a month during a water change.
    Bioballs will work fine as long as they are aggitated regularly and once every couple of month removed and cleaned properly.

I am just not a big fan of them.