would this work with bio-balls?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Peredhil, Oct 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I don't use bio-balls and don't intend to ever use them. The question is just because I'm thinking about it.

Can you put a hermit crab (or more) in with your bio-balls and let the crab keep them from building up too much crap? To either replace or further space out bio-ball rotation/cleaning. Assuming it's contained properly, the only hold back is the amount of water, but I'm not sure if that's a blocker or not...

What brought the question to my mind is that I have this hermit that is intent on being in the way. So I moved him to my skimmer where he promptly cleaned all the build up that had settled on the bottom of skimmer... so I moved him to my POD farm where he has been making a very nice dent in the build up (mostly old flake food) on the bottom of the bucket...

so was just wondering...

2. Click Here!

3. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

I dont think the crabs would keep up with the crap. The only way to use bio-balls and have them work its to clean them every so often.

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Why couldn't crabs keep up? It's just a matter of having enough crabs climbing through the balls isn't it?

And if you have enough crabs to keep up, you would be keeping the balls fairly clean (it's not like a crab will clean one spot to spotless clean before moving on).

The counter didn't seem to be whether or not the crab could live in these water level conditions... so assuming they can (?), I don't see a difference between manually cleaning them and having the crabs do it.

Nobody is saying otherwise... in fact, it's that very point that brings this question up.

5. oceanparadise1

you would probably have to have 2 crabs per ball, doesnt seem cost effiecnt, plus the death of crabs, i think it would jus be much easyier to clean them every 2-3 weeks

6. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

North Yorkshire, England, Europe, Earth, Milkyway,
    You could try it but I don't think you would be able to see the crabs too easily. If the crabs died you wouldn't know about it. Plus I don't think the crabs appreciate being in a load of bioballs. It doesn't sound like a great life for the crab in bioballs (it's not very natural).

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I'm simply asking if it would work. Not if it's easier, or cheaper, or harder. Just if you could do it.

I doubt it would be that many (says the dude that doesn't use bio balls ::) I know). Maybe in an established ball sets, but once it got them under control... I bet it would be a reverse ratio of that.

Cost efficient? ha ha ha. Let's leave that comment for some other conversation ;) I've got plenty of non cost effective ways of doing things.

Death of the crabs... that's true. Since I put in my CuC, I haven't lost a single hermit... they're going on 14 months now (roundabouts). Wondering if the environment might somehow shorten their life?

The point wouldn't be to see the crabs... they'd just be a tool in this scenario.

But having your crabs die and not knowing it... that is a concern I hadn't thought of.

I don't think crabs are capable of appreciation. And if they can... well, sucks to be a crab.

In the end, it sounds like nobody really knows though... just guesses (and empathy :confused:).

Has anyone tried this? What was your results? Did they just die off, didn't do enough (what kind of ratio did you try)?

I haven't heard anything so far that really says it wouldn't work...

8. Click Here!

9. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

North Yorkshire, England, Europe, Earth, Milkyway,
    I won't imagine anyone has been brave enough to try this, or had the need to do this bioballs are detritus traps and even with crabs in them are a lot of trouble in the long run. Live rock, a cycled tank, balance of bacteria (aerobic and anaerobic), a decent skimmer, a good cleaning regime including ocassional sand siphoning and water changes using a descent salt water mix works a treat.

Environmental enrichment for all animals and they will all thank you and do their jobs perfectly...

Crabs have feelings too!

10. oceanparadise1

idk i dont think one crab per ball would keep up. They dont eat THAT much, and once the balls have been in for a while your gonna have to up the crab count. i just dont see this working bro

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

;)

true 'nuff. I've never used bio-balls and have no urges to try it out. I run ~2lb/gal LR and a skimmer... plus a big CuC. Works beautifully. I don't do WC either really.

I wish I would've taken before and after pics. I have a POD bucket... over the months a lot of flake food (and misc) has accumulated blanketing the bottom of the bucket. I have this one striped hermit crab that I wanted out of my DT so I put him in there. In about 4 days I'd say he's gone through 60+% of the viewable build up. That's really impressive, IMO.

It just made sense to me that bio-balls could use a CuC of sorts.

I don't know. I really don't. I'm impressed with how much this striped one has eaten... but you're probably right.

I wonder if it would help prolong cleaning cycles of the balls - making them easier.

12. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

I don't use bio balls either so I can only speculate but would a crab be able to move "through" the bio balls or would he be stuck on top?

If I had bio balls I wouldn't be above putting a hermit in there to try it out. Even if he did die I don't think one dead crab will affect water quality that much more than a detritus loaded bioball. If you had more than one crab the others would eat the dead crab anyway.

I think any captive hermit of mine would rather take being in the bio ball chamber than being in the mantis tank. ;D

1 person likes this.