Would this be to low for a xenia

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Craft kid21, Feb 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Craft kid21

Craft kid21 Banned

I have a 29 gal tank and a few xenia in there and other corals. but my Ph is at 7.8 and is that way to low for the xenia or no

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

how long had your lights been on when you tested your pH?

4. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

If you find a reliable way to kill xenia without hurting the rest of the tank please let me know...

Side note: Free xenia frags to the first 500 callers.

to answer your question as best as I can, my pH hits below that in the early AM sometimes and my xenia will not die....

I've found they pulse more at lower pH also.

5. Craft kid21

Craft kid21 Banned

OOOHHHH yeah my lights were on about the half day so around 3pm was when i tested it
    , i turn them on at about 9am and ive been adding PH booster becasue i thoughts xenia will die if its in low ph and i got scared lol but im wanting to like grow thesee things like crazy and sell them. so if you have any tips thanks

6. DanKistner

DanKistner Coral Banded Shrimp

Greysoul, your avatar has to go man, I puked in my mouth a little.

7. Craft kid21

Craft kid21 Banned

hahahha ya greysoul that is a lil rough loli had to go to the dentist today and i was thinking about that i gotte lil sick i think lol

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

And how! Nasty nasty.

10. billyboy2

billyboy2 Coral Banded Shrimp

When i first started my tank xenia was the first "coral" i got . My ph started low at 7.8 i don't belive it will die off at that point as mine just stayed the same with no growth...it's just on the low side. you want to shoot for 8.2 to 8.4. My xenia population exploded when my tank became more established and my ph came up too. One thing xenia likes that most corals don't is dirty water... or water with wastes in it. I'm guessing its a new setup? with time you will notice a huge change. I at the 1 year point had to rip out all the xenia i had or loose control of my tank. It will spread over and Invade everything. Just something to keep in mind. Hope that helps

11. Craft kid21

Craft kid21 Banned

yes it did, well the tank itself is very mature around 8 months old but ive had the tank in my hands around 5 to 6 weeks the xenia is around 2 weeks in my tank, but ive had one that is 4 weeks old to, i did a water change twice this week and im trying to get my alk down to 2.5 its at 14.5 right now sooo i dont no if thats bad, should i lower it or what

12. billyboy2

billyboy2 Coral Banded Shrimp

i hope you mean you want to bring it down 2.5 dKH from 14.5 and make it 12 dKH cause 14.5 is quite high 12 dKH is high on the scale but in range of what you want to keep. also it is important you don't drop the dKH too fast either, a good amount to shoot for is 1 dKH a day up or down in adjustment. you don't want to make it change too fast or your corals might go into shock