would this be overkill?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by maintman55, Dec 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. maintman55

maintman55 Flamingo Tongue

2. Click Here!

3. arentspowell

arentspowell Skunk Shrimp

Its not the fact that it would be overkill its just that it doesn't haven't the correct spectrum for corals. I don't think it would be a good idea. Even if it grew your corals they would be all brown because of such a low kelvin rating. It would make a great light for a large fuge though probably!

4. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

Ive seen people put a 50w LED over a frag tank and their growth was actually fairly decent but if its your DT it might be a little spotty

5. brunoboarder244

and it says it goes up to 7000k...coral growth is best at 6500k but is less pleasing to the eye so it would need actinic supplementing so if you could get the light at the right temperature and put it where it has enough coverage this is a plausible light but probably wouldnt work as well as normal aquarium LEDs

6. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Sorry, your not quite right on that one. PLants like a kelvin rating of around 6500k, corals is higher around 10k, even up to 20k in fact it is the blue light that corals love the most, not the white light.

7. maintman55

maintman55 Flamingo Tongue

overkill

i didnt think it would work,,just a silly thought,,lol.

8. Click Here!

9. brunoboarder244

do some research like i did....the most useful light for coral is at 6500k with fastest growth but the coloring is as nice....10k is usually the median people choose because its more appeasing to the eyes and still gets decent growth....14k more appeasing to eyes and gets some growth....20k is the most appeasing but gets the slowest growth, if you would like ill dig through my bookmarks and see if i can find the citations on this

if you didnt know 6500k is the same amount of light as noon daylight naturally hence why corals are more well adapted to growth under it

and yes altough 20k is the weakest it can have better growth than say a tank that has 10k or 14k but its not only because the temperature but also about the watts per gallon so on a tank of the same size/depth with 250w of MH lets just use that for instance the 10k will grow more rapidly assuming they were both quality bulbs from the same brand

10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

It depends on the depth at which the coral came from. The higher the K, the bluer the light, which is exactly what you get in the ocean as water filters out red, yellow, etc quite rapidly.

11. brunoboarder244

partly right, for proper growth and color that is a factor but as far as all i have read even the deep water sps grow faster under 6500k BUT they dont have that really nice color to them anymore

so what I would say is if you wanted to do something like this in my opinion I would supplement with a ton of actinics etc so is it still so cost effective :-/

if you do decide to try something like this post some pictures you've caught my interest lol

i personally do like blue a lot better for my DT but I would not be against using 6500k for a frag tank or grow out tank to get the growth and then move them into my DT for a few months so they will color up properly