Would it be ok to combine lighting?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by JupiterSailfish, Jun 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JupiterSailfish

JupiterSailfish Peppermint Shrimp

So I need lights for my tank. I pretty much have my mind set on a six bulb T-5 fixture. My canopy is about 35 1/4'' long.

Most of the fixtures I'm finding are either 36'' or 24'' long. I did find a 30'' fixture with two bulbs and I can order a 30'' fixture with four bulbs. Would it be ok to combine the two to have six bulbs? Or should I keep searching for a 30" six bulb fixture? I've been looking at retrofit kits too. I'm being told that the 24'' is too small for my 58 gallon.

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

you could use two, i wouldnt put all the same bulbs next to each other switch it up between attnic and sunlight
    but what how deep is the tank? what are you going to keep?

4. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Is this a 58 tall ? 30 seemes short for a 50+
    If it is a tall and I suspect a deep tank, you may need the MH to get to the bottom if you are planning SPS and such.

As for the 2 fixtures, if it fits, theres nothing wrong with it. You could get a 4 buld unit with the 10k and 460, then the 420 for the 2 bulb unit.

I would find the vendor that you like then check the manufactureres website. A lot of times the popular sizes are what you find at the online stores, and they dont always post all sizes.

Good Luck

5. JupiterSailfish

From the water surface to my sand bed it is 16 1/2". I plan on keeping soft corals, a hard coral if my lighting is sufficient, and fish.

6. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

??
    30 Wide, 17 Tall, what is the depth ? You did say 58 gallons right ?

7. JupiterSailfish

It's 36" long, 17" tall, and 18" wide.

8. Click Here!

9. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Weird, I get 47 gallons..
    Anyway you want to get at 4+ watts per gallon for the corals. Doesnt matter if its 1 fixture or 3.

You may want to look at removing your canopy. Once that is off you may be able to retro the 6bulb 36" quite easily, maybe even uspend it from above if possible.

Any pics of the setup ?

Cheers

10. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Oh, I thought you said 30 originally. With 36, then maybe removing the canopy is the way to go.

pics pics pics

11. JupiterSailfish

12. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

You won't keep anything alive with that fixture. Those aren't even ho. I had those same ones and zoas won't even color up under them. I had two 24" 4 bulbs total on a 15 gal, nothing. Getting better ho t5, pet mountain has some. I use the nova extremes.