worth the money??

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by rogerstammy, Mar 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rogerstammy

rogerstammy Peppermint Shrimp

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

It looks alright. It doesn't look drilled, so that's a negative. I believe Packleader just bought a 200 gal. tank for $200. As long as it doesn't leak, has no cracks etc. Also, see what he kept, make sure no copper was ever used in it. If that all checks out, I think it would be a pretty good deal.

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I would ask for the exact measurements. That doesn't even look close to 200 gallons to me, unless that kid is 6 foot 6. To put it into perspective, my 200 is 7 feet long ;)
    Also, tempered does not make it worth more, and you will not be able to drill it for overflows (tempered cannot be drilled).
    Get the exact measurements, then come back to us.

5. dirtydavenkc

dirtydavenkc Purple Spiny Lobster

right. me and my 3 kids would all fit in my 130 gallon

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Another great point. And don't just take his/her word for it, ask for it IN WRITING that copper was never used. You will be surprised at how many back off when you ask for it like that.
    This is all assuming it's going to be a reef tank ;)

Yeah. Looking at that, there is no way in heck that tank is 200 gallons. Kinda looks like a 90 tall. Its more of a personal choice, but I would avoid tall cube tanks. Waste of space IMO, and it will require very powerful lighting.

Just for reference, these are some pics of a 200 gallon tank. The first one is in the back of a S-10. The bed is a long bed, and you can see the tank still hangs past.

[​IMG]

The second pic is me inside of it, and I am a big boy. So like I said, if that tank is 200 gallons, that is the worlds largest kid ;)

[​IMG]

7. rogerstammy

It is 4 feet long 2.5 feet tall and 2 feet wide. He had oscars in it for the last 4 years. OK I just did the calculations and it is about 150 not 200

8. Click Here!

9. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

sounds like a 90g

10. psiclone

psiclone Purple Spiny Lobster

If he had oscars in there ask if he used any medications even for ick. Could be copper

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

OK, so its not a 200 first off ;) That would put it at about ~140 gallons, depending on how thick the glass is.
    And as stated before, the tank cannot be drilled for overflows.I would also be vary wary if it had oscars, just due to the high probability it had medication run through it.
    Thinking of just that, I would skip. If you can't trust him to give you an honest word on the tank size, I wouldn't trust his word for the medication or anything else involving the tank. . Keep looking, tanks are a dime a dozen on craigslist. But, that is just all my opinion ;)

12. rogerstammy

Thanks!! I will skip. If I am going to get something that large, I DON'T want to muk it up. So I will be skipping this set up.. cheers...