Worth buying?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jturnbull, Jun 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jturnbull

jturnbull Purple Spiny Lobster

Oceanpro Aquatics, Inc.

Got an email from these guys about a sale on an assortment of things and this caught my eye. Has anyone bought from them and is this rock any good?

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

what do they want including shipping?
    The only concerns I have is it looks to not be very porous, and they make a huge deal of it being white. In 3 months all rock ends up the same color ;)

4. jturnbull

jturnbull Purple Spiny Lobster

all together for 30 lbs they want 35 for ground shipping

5. starangel59

starangel59 Plankton

I have never bought anything from them but the picture of Tahitian Live rocks are catching my eyes....

It's a sure buy for me...check ur LFS for a price tally

6. Malarky

Malarky Astrea Snail

I wonder how long their LR sits around? I am very tempted to order some of the Hawaiian rock.

7. madlarkin

madlarkin Peppermint Shrimp

Great people to deal with, at least when I was local. First hand experience is that the hawiian waterfall rock and holey rock are both VERY dense and heavy. They have some awesome shapes/structures but I wouldn't want to use it completely.

8. Click Here!

9. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Looks sketchy to me, I'm always skeptical of something that is too good to be true.

For one thing they are selling it as "live rock" but it's actually dead/dry/base rock at least according to the last paragraph about shipping. Plastering Live Arrive guarantees is absurd.
    In the first paragraph like Pack mentions they go on and on about how white it is and in the second they even say it will be covered in coralline in a matter of time.
    Recommending second day or air cargo for dry rock is pretty ridiculous.

Also, dense rock doesn't make the best live rock, you generally want it very porous and light for it's size so lots of bacteria etc can colonize it. It might be good to use some as base rock to lay out some basic structure but I wouldn't use more than maybe 25-30% of your rock with dense stuff.

Maybe the rock is great but that page is just kind of funny how many inconsistencies and how much marketing fluff there is in that one page. I wouldn't trust them to deliver a quality product but maybe that's just me being cynical. :-/